News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: N171Z  (Read 5320 times)

Kzastrow1

N171Z
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:34 am »
Greetings All,

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this 500B? 

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=COMMANDER&model=500B&listing_id=2315475&s-type=aircraft

Obviously an old fire bird and will need some TLC.  Specifically wondering about the Rayjay conversion and pluses or minuses.  One higher time engine but if it’s been maintained well that doesn’t scare me.  The radios and autopilot are standard forestry service stuff and I prefer steam gauges to glass (I get enough high altitude, pressurized glass time at my day job:)   Would I regret not having the Shrike mods?

Thanks!

Kirk

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: N171Z
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 03:51:56 pm »
The forestry birds are normally very well maintained, so can be a good buy. They're all high time, though, and most of that has been spent low and in rising air, which puts a little more stress on the airframe. But it wouldn't worry me, just make sure you do a thorough pre-buy and maybe an eddy-current test. I seem to recall that the RayJay turbos are manual wastegate. Which is good in many ways, as you can control stuff and don't have to deal with automated actuators etc that tend to stick.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Kzastrow1

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:18:49 am »
After further review and consult with a Commander expert, I now understand why this bird is priced as it is.  It’s amazing what one can discover when one makes a couple of phone calls and does a little internet research.  Yikes!

Kirk

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
Just curious, but aside from high time what is the issue?