News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Idaho to Louisiana 500B style  (Read 5150 times)

Bruce Byerly

Idaho to Louisiana 500B style
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:08:39 pm »
Finally headed to Idaho to pick up my 500B N1176Z and deliver to customer after the major panel upgrade and a proper annual. I have been worried about the weather for a couple weeks as flying a non-booted naturally aspirated piston twin in the mountains is a fair weather project in my book.  We are planning to stop in OKC along he way to visit another 690B being returned to the fleet after a few years of sitting and a Mexican owner.  Hopefully Kent’s son Brenton is joining for the ride and some flying time.  It should be a fun adventure!

donv

• Administrator
Re: Idaho to Louisiana 500B style
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:30:41 pm »
Sounds like fun! Please post some updates and pictures as you go!

I came back from St. Louis yesterday, and it was pretty nasty from Wyoming all the way to the Pacific. At FL280, I topped most of it (much of it just barely), and wouldn't want to be flying around down low. My brother told me they've been having an epic snow year in Livingston MT, where he lives now... if the weather is decent, it should be a really pretty flight!

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:04:47 pm »
I try to be efficient on these trips so ended up in Gary, IN to pick up Renaissance 690B for demonstration to buyer and then on to Byerly Aviation in Peoria for inspection. From there, the snow storm had covered up MSP so flights were canceled but ended up in Boise via Detroit and Los Angesles then rented a car to Twin Falls.  Though I didn’t have time to visit Evil Knievel’s launch spot for the snake river jump, my friend Bent did have a look at the canyon, only a couple miles from the hotel. 

Visited a few old friends such as N400DS and then launched for Oklahoma City (fuel stop somewhere in Kansas) where we dropped off the new owner to N600PS, a -10 690B recovered from Mexico and fixed up for forestry work.  Weather was great though the air was rough and the 500B performed just as expected - new panel worked flawlessly.

From there, we departed for Houma, LA with continued nice tailwinds.  After some of that great Cajun food, and a few touch and goes with the new owner, I jumped in my “new” Aztec (sad to not be flying a Commander!) and flew home to Naples on Tuesday having departed Friday morning 4 days earlier. A great trip with tailwinds when needed for a change.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:14:22 pm by Bruce Byerly »

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:27:15 pm »
A couple more.  Snake river taken by Brent.

TXi single in a 690. Nice option for those who don’t want to start over on a whole new panel!!

And how about those fuel flows and that ground speed? Another day in a 500 ...  ;D

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:07:05 am »
Sounds like a great, if busy, trip!

The pictures are really nice, particularly the one of the engine at sunset.

Do you do most of the Shrike flying VFR?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 08:56:03 pm »
Sounds like a great, if busy, trip!

The pictures are really nice, particularly the one of the engine at sunset.

Do you do most of the Shrike flying VFR?

Hi Don - I’m a VFR guy in the mountains in a 500, yes.  Otherwise, I prefer IFR if for nothing more than some protection and airspace simplification.  Glad you like the pics and asked for them.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t get around to it!

kent4142

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01:32 am »
Thanks Bruce, and thanks for taking Brenton along.  That trip was fun for all of us!!!

K