News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 560F with Mr Rpm IO720s  (Read 8639 times)

Kzastrow1

560F with Mr Rpm IO720s
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:36:07 pm »
N41KV.  1964 560F with Mr RPM.  I’ve read the older threads on here from when it was for sale a couple years ago.  Low time engines and props, haven’t heard back from the owner yet as to how long ago the engines were overhauled.  Worth taking a look or a money pit?  Asking $100k

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: 560F with Mr Rpm IO720s
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:09:21 pm »
All depends on condition of airframe, has it been hanger'd whole life or sat outside in Floriday or up North in extremely cold wet weather.  Don't listen to times flown or run since... get log books and see when last annual and how many hours were logged each year.  Those engines are as expensive as mine to overhaul so if they need that done it would drastically change the decision.   Those engines from what I understand cost around 60-70k to overhaul.

So money pit, probably.  But if you could get it for 75k and put 2 new engines on it for 70k each you're have a solid 250k airplane that would last for years.

But again, depends still on other aspects of the condition of the airframe before I'd make any kind of call.

Others will offer different opinions I"m sure so stay tuned.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kzastrow1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:30:36 pm »
I just got off the phone with the owner.  It had been a 135 airplane flying from south Florida to the Bahamas.  He bought it last year.  Engines and props were done in 2009 and 2010.  His dad and grand dad restore warbirds in TX.  Grand dad pasted so now it’s just him and his dad.  Dad is an A&P and IA. Has most of the Shrike mods including Air Conditioning.  Has the manually operated turbo chargers that he says really aren’t needed for us flat landers.  Does 180 knots but burns 44 GPH - Ouch.  Says his dad is meticulous with maintenance as his 3 grandkids ride in it.  He’s flown it 30 hours in the last year.  Has tons of logbooks from it’s 135 history. 

I may go see and fly it this week.  Any Commander experts around Dallas if I end up falling in love and need a good prebuy?

Kirk

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:12:26 am »
The 560F airframe is one of the best. Long range fuel, long wing, still light in weight. I think it' probably the only Commander that could give my 520 a run for the money in the STOL department. But with the IO-720's, it's obviously heavier than with the original IGO-540's, but not sure just how much that effects performance.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:46 am »
Worth taking a look or a money pit?

Oh, it's definitely a money pit. Any 50 year old twin is a money pit.

But that doesn't mean it's not worth looking at - just go in with your eyes open.
500B, B200

Kzastrow1

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:16 am »
Looks like the 720 is about 90 pounds heavier than the stock IGO 540.  Also looks more like 32 GPH at 55% cruise power according to the Lycoming manual.  I have no idea what kind of speed you’d get at 55% power.  Maybe 170 knots TAS???  This one has 223 gallons of fuel.   Other than overhaul costs pushing $75,000 and 48 GPH at 75% power,  I’ve heard/read nothing but good things about the IO720.  With the highest time engine still 1300 hours from TBO, I’d think a smooth handed, conservative, 55% power kind of pilot like me would be able to keep these 720s happy for many years to come.   8)  Or, I could pop an engine at anytime and be wishing I’d just kept my 310.  :( 

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:33 am »
Curious - what's making you think of switching from a 310 to a 560F? Short fields? Range? Load hauling?

The 310 is certainly faster and more efficient.
500B, B200

Kzastrow1

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:02:15 am »
Good question Jim.  I’d really like something that has easy entry/exit and is a true cabin class airplane.  I have a lot of 400 series Cessna time from 30 years ago.  The 421B being my favorite.  I flew a 1980 340 last week that’s for sale.  Nice airplane and probably what I should buy, but the cabin/cockpit are still a bit tight.  I really don’t NEED pressurization, FIKI, turbochargers and fancy glass cockpits.  All are nice, but all cost money.  I fly an A320 for a living so I get all the high altitude, glass cockpit thrills there.  The 310R fits my current mission, just isn’t very exciting.  With older parents and older friends, ease of entry really would be nice.  Plus, let’s face it...there’s just something about the Twin Commander.  She’s just sexy.  Ultimately my mission will start to include charity flying.  Angel Flights, dog rescue and some missions oriented flying.  My personal flying will be 1 to 2 hour jaunts with a couple of Florida to Wisconsin repositioning flights thrown in each year.  This particular 560, if she checks out as presented, with all the mods and Air Center air conditioning would seem to be a lot of bang for the buck.  But in the end you’re right.  All of these 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s twins are ridiculous to own from a dollars and cents (and sense) standpoint.

Kirk

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:47:41 pm »
This sounds like a pretty good airplane for what you want.

The key is that it's been maintained and flying recently. Good luck!