News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Greetings from Oshkosh  (Read 5490 times)

charlieeasy

• Fly it like you STOL it"..
    • Helio Owners and Pilots Emporium
Greetings from Oshkosh
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:32:21 pm »
I've got a dollar some of you have been here a time or two. Anyway, got into Commanders when I was 5 years as I lived under an airway corridor between DET and PTK, more precisely Bloomfield Hills, MI. When we moved there in 1955 the traffic that overflew our residence was everything GA had at the time, C-310, TwinBo, Commander 560/680, and a Learstar or 2. The Cessna 310 straight tail was a favorite, but the majestic Twin Commander with their high-revving GO-480's had a distinct sound like no other, then a few Royal Gull's would come over and I thought they were Commanders until closer inspection-Commanders don't float, that squashed that idea. My first experience with a Commander was at Berz Airport where I got a ride in AC 520 N4186B and flew to Traverse City, MI. Got in the left seat and to taxi that beast was at least interesting.

Today I concur that the Twin Commander is the finest built twin available, both piston 500B, Shrike, 560F, 560 680, and on. For the turbine side of things, the 980 climbs like a homesick angel, and they are representative of a first class executive chariot.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Greetings from Oshkosh
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »
Welcome and sounds like an interesting childhood.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:37:32 pm »
Swede Ralston had a Royal Gull for a long time. I remember discussing the engines with him-- he liked them and was familiar with them from the piston Commander days... the Gull was a lot of fun.

charlieeasy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:07:22 pm »
I might add that I went to my local hobby store and they had in stock those comet models of 310, Beech 18, Apache, and Aero Commander 680. Bought 2 310's and 2 Commander 680's.

Stephen
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:39:55 pm »
Took a ride in John Mohr's Gull many years ago, as you can see in clip. He gets that thing down into some crazy small lakes! Very impressive bird. I wanted one bad, but they were just a bit too much for my budget at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9scHYvG92Sc
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

charlieeasy

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:52:02 pm »
John Mohr is the best Stearman pilot on the planet, me thinks. The Piaggio/Trekker Royal Gull has the same engines as the 680, but they are pointed backwards in typical Italian fashion

Cool airplanes, but not many were sold in the US.

Cheers,
Stephen

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:42 pm »
Adam,  very cool video.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:05:58 pm »
I want one TOO!!