News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Strange brake problem  (Read 8844 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Strange brake problem
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:28:04 am »
So here is one for the books:

We sprung a leak in the right brake system that ended up literally emptying the entire skydrol supply out onto the ground when getting the airplane to the shop.  Since then I ordered a brand new caliper due to the damage of the old one and one new piston.  Here are a few pictures of what it looked like when we got it home.

They put new o-rings on all of the pistons on both left and right brakes and reinstalled onto the plane.  Upon our first run up though the right brake started leaking skydrol out and another gallon was lost forever.

Upon inspection the leaks appeared to be coming from the pistons and o-rings.  So a decision was made to install new o-rings again and to move the pistons on the right brake to the left and visa versa to see if the leak moved to the left gear which would indicate a bad piston or something.  After the installation and move, the leak stayed on the right side.  This leaves only the caliper which was brand new and it appears to have 2 different pistons doing the leaking.

I talked to Morris yesterday and he suggested that we needed to check the brake pressure relief valve on the right side to make sure it only had 400psi on it but he didn't seem to think that was going to be the problem.  Anyone else have any ideas of tests or things to look at before we order another caliper?

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Strange brake problem
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:45:35 am »
Did you ever call Geoff Pence at Twin Commander?

Stephen Matusick

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:49:01 am »
I would agree to where you are going with this Glenn. if you've moved all the components, and the leak still exists the same place, its the one thing that hasn't moved.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:20:51 pm »

No, I don't know him nor do I have a number.  Is he another Morris?

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:35:39 pm »
No, he is Twin Commander's technical rep.

http://www.twincommander.com/contact.html

His job is to provide you with answers to questions, if he can. And he has a LOT of experience, plus all of the factory documentation to back him up.

No, I don't know him nor do I have a number.  Is he another Morris?

Thanks,

Glenn

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:11:26 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the info, will give him a call on Monday.

Glenn
--glenn