News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Max power at altitude  (Read 4566 times)

KenFlo

Max power at altitude
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:18:04 am »
My number one engine power lever reaches the stops before engine temps out.  Actually, 500 EGT is all I can get out of it at 23K and above.  I have Bendix controllers but this one is only about 400 hours out of overhaul.  The engine machanic turned up max power one turn and it made no difference.  Is it possible that P3 air filter is dirty or clogged not allowing engine to think it needs max power.  This is also impacting nobbs matching on power levers.  This is a new thing starting about 2 months ago.  Before that, no issues.  Any ideas?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Max power at altitude
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:34:21 am »
I have exactly the same problem. Let me know what the fix is if you find out?

There was talk about sending FCU out, not for overhauls and get taken to the cleaners, but just to inspect and maybe change a few membranes here and there. Not sure that's an option on Bendix.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

KenFlo

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:32:11 pm »
Ok, flight today at FL260 after a few engine adjustments.  They cleaned the P3 air filter which was partially blocked and turned up max power a couple of turns.  That fixed the problem completely. Knobs matched again and plenty of throttle left after reaching max temp.  Engines matched perfectly in HP, EGT, and fuel burn.  Flight to BTR was about 1.4 hours so plenty of time at altitude to test out.  Couldn’t be happier with results.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:24:57 pm »
Good to hear!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:41:48 pm »
Where's the P3 filter located on the engine? Is there a schematic or link someone can point to?

Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:12:51 am »
Ok, flight today at FL260 after a few engine adjustments.  They cleaned the P3 air filter which was partially blocked and turned up max power a couple of turns.  That fixed the problem completely. Knobs matched again and plenty of throttle left after reaching max temp.  Engines matched perfectly in HP, EGT, and fuel burn.  Flight to BTR was about 1.4 hours so plenty of time at altitude to test out.  Couldn’t be happier with results.

Excellent - glad to hear