News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Short field STCs  (Read 4807 times)

JimC

• Administrator
Short field STCs
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:02:56 pm »
Why are there no short field STCs for the Twin Commander 500 series? I know it's already shorter than most twins when stock, but just about any twin with Horton, R/STOL or VGs will beeat a stock 500 off the ground.

VGs or cuffs on a 500 would be an awesome addition if they provided similar performance to other twins.
500B, B200

Bruce Byerly

Re: Short field STCs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:32:50 pm »
How do you improve on perfection?  ;D

Good question Jim.  My .02: I don’t know of any aerodynamic devices of any kind that give any significant benefit on any model Commander.  I’m not sure about gap seals, but I suspect they don’t help short field. May not hurt it, I don’t really know. The winglets are for looks and have a bit of a negative effect on fatigue life from what I understand.

The VG’s slow every plane down.  If I had them on a Twin Cessna or Baron, I would take them off, personally.  With the big wing and big effective controls on the Commander, I don’t think there is a need. Ask Adam. I think he operated his on a postage stamp more than once. 8)

The 500 is certainly no BN Islander, but it also has a lot more speed and comfort.

On the turbine side, a CFD analysis was done looking for ways to improve the design.  I can tell you there really wasn’t much there.  Noting we thought had enough benefit to develop, package and sell

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 11:04:40 pm »
Flap gap seals hurt short field performance, is what I've been told. The gaps help airstream stick longer on the upper wing, which improves t/o performance.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:01:41 am »
Ugh...Hate to hear that, Adam   I wonder if I ought to remove my flap gap seals?  I, basically, bought them twice (Glenn will understand when I say they were initially installed wrong...)  ;-(
Ed

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:18:04 am »
Ed, don't they make it go faster, though? I guess it depends on which aspect of performance you are more interested in.

Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07:49 am »
Yes.  Maybe a little bit.  Sometimes it is hard to tell WHAT actually makes it go a little faster...  Flap gap seals maybe...  Certainly overhauled engines.  However, I do know those flap gap seals create an extra step for the mechanics during the annual...  I just had not heard that they hurt short field performance (I don't do a lot of that anyway...)

I am just glad I did NOT add the winglets when I had the work done in Tennessee a couple years ago... :-)

Ed
Ed

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:24:42 pm »
The winglets look a little bit silly on a 500, in my opinion.

A while back, Twin Commander had some images of a turbine with large blended winglets, like those on a Gulfstream or Boeing. Did that do anything for cruise performance or climb? I assume they did some modeling, or maybe those were just images someone put together?

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »
Actually, only the longer ones would have any chance of it.  The ones on our planes were never designed to increase performance I don't think.  They just look cool for the company logo. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.