News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Winglets  (Read 3636 times)

donv

• Administrator
Winglets
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:26:11 pm »
I understand that the little winglets don't do much (I would guess the wing extensions on the Jetprops do far more).

However, a while back the Twin Commander website had some images of large blended winglets, like what you'd see on a 737, on a Commander. Was there any analysis of that done? Did it do anything?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Winglets
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:55:31 pm »
Good question, Don. I'd be interested to know as well.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 01:34:01 am »
Big winglets would help and were researched. But, they don’t benefit the high aspect ratio wing as much as other planes that “need more wing”at high altitudes.  I’ll try to get more detailed info, but it didn’t pay at the end of the day.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:49 pm »
I imagine they might have worked well with the 1200, if they could have gotten the 1200 horsepower they wanted. Maybe pump the cabin up a little bit more and go to FL410.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:35:17 pm »
Who owns the STC of the winglet mod? I'm trying to get a LOA issued, as it's a continued gripe during annuals/phase inspections. Morris just bought them from another plane and put them on, without the right paperwork (of course).
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:19:48 am »
I'd reach out to Andrew at Twin Commander. Maybe Twin Commander has an STC? It wouldn't surprise me if they did... actually a quick google seach brought up this:

https://flightlevelsonline.com/2018/summer-2018/looking-back-model-680w-turbo-ii-commander/

This airplane mentioned has Commander Aero winglets, so maybe that's what yours are as well? It's a clue, anyway...

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 08:21:03 pm »
Commander Aero or First Flight in Dayton has the STC.

Re: the big winglets and strakes, TCAC analyzed them and they could help in certain regimes but, as noted, about the last thing a Commander needs is more effective wing.  I’ve had a -10 840 to FL390 and even tested a -5 840 at gross with high time engines to find a 1.5 degree deck angle at FL310. There’s a reason you don’t see VG’s, hub caps, strakes, and other aero fixes on Commanders. They simply don’t need them.

Steve binnette

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 11:51:51 am »
Love the Commander wing!

I remember when they were adding winglets to the 767/757.  It was a trade off between added lift when  compared to the additional weight. 

The average length of the flight was the determining metric.  Made no sense under two hours or something like that.  You needed to haul the added weight to altitude to get the majority of the benefit so you needed time at altitude to take advantage of it.