News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Not again!!!  (Read 9281 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Not again!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 04:43:51 pm »
Well,  hopefully the governor will fix my problem but will keep that in mind.  A bit confused as to how the gear box could cause that on its own since it is all, well, gears.. :-) . Mine is tight and not making any noise of any kind so hopefully that isn't it.  We'll know in a few days as the shop should have it tomorrow and are supposed to run some tests on it ASAP.

And Don, the screaming deals wouldn't help me much at the moment,.  I just purchased a new house and own 2 airplanes I need to get rid of before I could even think about bringing in another.  I do totally agree that a turbine would be the best fit for me physically, just have to make it work in every other way. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 07:59:43 am »
So the prop shop found that the governor was a bit out of calibration but otherwise was fine.  They did mention that the collar that mounts the governor to the gearbox sometimes goes bad and suggested I call Lycoming about how to test it.  I did google and find a document that describes testing the straight shaft models but not the gearbox.  I haven't been able to find anything on my engine.  I called Lycoming and they also couldn't find anything so I'm left wondering how you test it and what I should do next.

Replacing the entire gearbox because of this seems silly.  I've also tried to call Morris but haven't gotten through yet.  I'll try him again today but if anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 01:32:03 pm »
Something you, or others in your situation, might keep in mind is that doing an overhaul is not the only way to deal with a runout turbine engine. There are a number of mid-time and even zero time dash 5s listed in Trade-a-Plane, so you could buy an airplane with one runout (there is one on controller for something like $250k), and buy a mid-time engine to replace the runout one. As a bonus, you would still have the runout engine as well.

Popeye

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »

Glenn.......It all looks normal. Please when you see it drop, go to mixture control and move it. It is most probably the fuel unit. simmonds. needs a cleaning with ultracsound on filters.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 08:11:26 am »
Thanks,

I plan to do that this week because it has never been done since I've owned the airplane.  I have never found any part numbers for gasket and been afraid to pull it apart.  But I think I'm going to have to risk it.  Book says clean every 50 hours but they list zero part numbers for doing it.

Glenn
--glenn