News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New England  (Read 2909 times)

kent4142

New England
« on: June 03, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »
Hi All,

I have an annual trip from Florida to Maine.  For the last 5 years I have been doing the trip in the 414.  This year I am excitedly planning on going non stop from DED to RKD in my Commander 840 with long range fuel.  My question is this:

Normally I can get direct routing in the flight levels to Norfolk, VA.  From there Washington Center and New York and Boston seem to like me on jet routes until I get North of Boston.

Do Y'all think the same will be true in the Commander at FL 270, or do you think I could possibly get direct routing all the way, since I am 6,000 feet higher than usual?

Thanks,

Kent

Bruce Byerly

Re: New England
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:26 pm »
Kent - FL270 is busier than 12-22 where the pistons have mostly free range but it’s not like the 30’s so you should be able to negotiate some good routing.  That said, it’s some busy airspace up there. Fortunately you have fuel to do it under virtually any routing or wind conditions.

JMA

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 04:55:51 pm »
Kent4142, any relation to a Kent Magnussen?   Saw a picture long time ago on flightaware with a Kent Magnussen leaning on a Jetprop.  Just curious.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:15:52 am »
You won't get direct all the way; it's too far offshore. You can get on the ARs out of FL, but it's really not possible to avoid passing over the NC cape. You'll spend a fair amount of time on J174.
500B, B200