News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: G’day from Australia  (Read 5733 times)

KAS

G’day from Australia
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:58:31 am »
My brother and I recently purchased a 500S from Ponderosa Aviation in Safford AZ (KSAD) through Bruce Byerly. After some upgrades (Aircenter Inc air conditioning and LR fuel) and a few teething problems we ferried the aircraft from Merced (KMCE) to Australia in Dec 17.

It was a three day ferry and the aircraft performed well and carried its large payload of avgas with ease. This is our first, and hopefully not last, commander. We love the aircraft, they are beautiful to fly and it turns plenty of heads wherever it goes.

We are really enjoying learning about the aircraft, it’s our first twin. If any of you come out to Australia, please look us up.

Mick & Andrew Kennedy

Badger

Re: G’day from Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:03 am »
Sounds like a great buy and a great trip!  Envious of the long flight!  Welcome to the 500B world!

Ed
Ed

Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:40:52 am »
By the way, what do you think of the air conditioning that you installed?

And, where did you stop along the way back to Australia?

Ed
Ed

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »
Welcome! 500s are great airplanes. How are you going to use it?

AC680fan

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 09:00:02 pm »
In Sydney morning of the 9 June, leave the 11th. Where did you two base her? Love to hear about and see pictures of the ferry flight.

KAS

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:20:29 am »
The aircraft is based in Gunnedah (YGDH), New South Wales about 185nm NW of Sydney. We are primarily an airwork company operating Air Tractor AT802’s and a Bell Longraner on aerial firefighting operations. VH-XAS (formerly N9116N) will be utilised as a firespotter/air attack aircraft and for general charter.

The ferry started in Merced,CA (KMCE) where we tanked up at Gateway Air Center with the help of Tom Lopes and his crew. We then repositioned to Santa Maria for the big leg out to Hilo. We overnighted in Hilo and then departed for Kiribati for a quick fuel stop and then onto Pago Pago in American Samoa. We overnighted there and then onto Coolangatta, just south of Brisbane in Queensland.. We cleared customs there and then down to Gunnedah.

The air conditioner is a great system now that it is installed and running, however there was some difficulties getting the system installed.

Attached are a few photos from the trip, including on the ramp in Hilo, overhead Cassidy International Airport at Kiribati,a shot of the GPS as we crossed the equator, and sunrise south of Hawaii.

Mick

Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:34:17 am »
Great photos!  Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like it was a very nice trip

ed
Ed

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 12:57:25 am »
Andrew & Mick - greetings!!

The trip over would make a great short film I’m sure but a good recap would be riveting for any pilot I think. But then, as Ag pilots with helicopters and water skiing Cubs, you guys know adventure!

Hope all is well.  When are you coming back to fly some 690’s?

Ps - the other Shrike is still sitting in the corner in Safford.   :o

Bruce

AC680fan

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:50:46 am »
Awesome photos and thanks for sharing your story. Often wondered what it would be like to ferry to Australia. Beautiful airplane, good luck and keep us posted.

Steve binnette

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:55:59 am »
Fantastic photos but we need more info on the ferry.

How heavy were you, how much fuel did you use?  What did you land with.  How long long did it take?  Did you have to wait on the weather and winds. 

How did you communicate.  We need more of the details.  That’s a interesting trip in a Commander.

Steve

Dromader driver

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 01:24:13 am »
Nice trip and well done in 3 days. no doubt two in the front makes it a bit more comfortable.

I'm looking at having to do a similar trip to Orange and had been planning via europe and middle east but may have a discussion with turtlepac.

Good story, 

Neil Morgan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »
What a fabulous adventure,only three days too - I’m impressed!
I’m very much looking forward to a North Atlantic crossing when we eventually acquire a 500 to call our own and bring her home to the U.K.