News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Almost Decided  (Read 16814 times)

Bruce Byerly

Re: Almost Decided
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 11:32:51 pm »
Agreed, Aerostars have a niche but for 2,500’ of grass?

Something to consider also: the Twin Commanders share the same airfoil as the Helio, Staggerwing, and BN Islander aircraft.  Lots of lift.

Not a Commander but this video made me LOL

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bB1Gdv3s4z0

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:19:28 am by Bruce Byerly »

Badger

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 10:40:59 am »
Glenn,

I am sorry it has turned out this way for you.  i certainly enjoyed our time together when we met in Athens, TN.  We both had high hopes with the airplanes we flew out of there, didn't we?  There has been a lot of good advice offered above, so I won't add to it.  From my experience, and only mine, once I fixed the issues caused by poor maintenance in Tennessee (which cost enough to almost buy another commander), my 500B has flown "almost" flawlessly.  I love every moment I am in her.  I am probably flying 20 to 30 hours a month now...all for fun...and seeing very few maintenance issues.  Now, I do take the plane to Darryl at Central Air for her Annual and again, 6 months later, for a look-over.  I know you will find the perfect aircraft for your enjoyment and your work.  Good luck in the search!

Ed
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:09:22 am »
Thanks everyone and nothing to argue about with anything said.  First the 720 Commanders do look interesting and I hear the 720's are a lot more stable than the 540's having no gearbox and such.  Gary Gadberry has a 720 listed right now that I thought about going to see.  My only issue with them is engine overhauls are more expensive than what I've already got, but other than that it is a definite option.

I also realize the beech is slower and oilier but engine overhauls are a ton cheaper and you get the 1800 hour TBO's,, much more reliable engines and an absolutely huge cabin.  Fuel burn is a concern except that it is actually less than what I currently burn and maintenance may be more but I truly find that hard to believe coming from what I've been dealing with :-).  So if anything, the 680FP has broken me in good on working on planes.

I don't have the money to purchase a turbine or other similar aircraft and I do like the old airplanes.  I don't know why but they just make me feel more like I'm flying and I can see more of the country.  I also like flying 1 main plane everywhere and not jumping back and forth between many.  I know my Commander is going to be hard to sell but currently it is in the best health its ever been with me.  Most everything is fixed and functioning now and for someone flying a lot less it will last years before it needs anything done to it.  But with my flying schedule it just has too many specialized systems to have to deal with out and about.

At this point the 18 is at the top of my list but still considering the super shrike.  I may go up to TN and fly Gary's and see what I think of it.

Thanks for all the input,

Oh, and Bruce, if I get the 18 you're welcome to come fly anytime.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:02:16 pm »
Thanks Glenn.  You deserve a break! 

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »
There's an tricycle -18 that's in my area that used to be well maintained and fly often out of a hangar, but now it's outside. I believe it flies, but rarely. Let me know if you're interested; I can get you in touch with the owner. I have no idea if he wants to sell or not but it's worth a call.
500B, B200

Roy

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 10:56:17 pm »
Is the C310 going on the market? What are the numbers on that?

I'm an avid C310 driver but love the Commanders too.

Roy

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:00 am »
Well, I don't really like the tri 18's.  They just don't look right :-)

As for the 310, yes, its a 72 310Q but I'm working on getting a new engine on the right side before messing with it.  I have a guy here at the airport that is on my pretty hard to sell it to him as is for $40 but not sure yet.  I am pretty should I could get 80 for it with the engine as it has left engine with less than 500 hours on it, ADS/B out, new 430W, new wiindows all the way around, battery tender, new engine monitor and is in really good shape.  Eventually needs new paint but not something you'd have to do immediately. Interior is in good shape as well.

If I end up listing it I'll let you know.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Popeye

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 09:35:51 am »
Well....I hope you change your mind and stay with it. Perhaps flying LOP is causing all of that. Try ROP, more fuel, less headaches.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 11:28:18 am »
Is the 720 still in production, or is it a bit of an orphan as well?

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 07:05:12 pm »
"Well, I don't really like the tri 18's.  They just don't look right :-)"

Agreed, but they're easier on the ground, and less to insure.
500B, B200

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:06 am »
Very good question on the 720 and is one of the reasons I'm a bit concerned going that direction.
--glenn

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 03:31:44 pm »
Very good question on the 720 and is one of the reasons I'm a bit concerned going that direction.

You have to really want an $80k engine in place of a $40k engine. The super shrike is cool and they do turn more gas into noise but of course they are unique and have a couple issues that go along with rarity.  The 540 is a perfect match. Simple. Fewer headaches. 95% of the speed.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 10:02:04 am »
Yeah, I've thought about just getting rid of pressure system on mine and converting to 5606 but still have 65k engines that eat cylinders and love gas.  This airplane would be perfect for the 50 hour a year guy that is just flying around having fun.  I'm just stressing it too much with all my flying.

Glenn
--glenn

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 09:29:15 am »
Well,  To keep me busy I'm about to close a deal on this:

I know most think I'm crazy going down this road but I really love these planes and am going to try my luck with some round engines.  There are at least plenty of parts for these planes and the engines must be better than what I have now with 1800TBO's.  I know I'll be flying slower albeit with same fuel flow I get LOP in the commander.  Lots more room inside for friends and family and a 2000lbs payload with full fuel.  Oh, and it can land on my 2900' runway.

My plans for 680RR are in the air but planning on putting up for sale soon.  The 18 has a 530W in it and thinking of swapping out 750 in the commander with it so I keep the 750 with me.  Otherwise its a nice bird ready for a new home. :-)

I'm sending off the an extra gear box for the left engine to have rebuilt at Central Cylinder and will put that on when it gets back.  That is quite literally the only thing wrong with it at the moment.  Both engines are running great and the plane itself is a 10 out of 10 both in and out.  So if I'm ever going to sell it it should be now.

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 01:01:16 pm »
Beautiful airplane! Good luck, both with the Beech and in selling the 680!