News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Almost Decided  (Read 16994 times)

Jeff Johnson

Re: Almost Decided
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:00 am »
I was a 2 boat owner once. 
Must feel about the same as being a 2 plane owner :)

Nice plane Glenn are we changing the name of the website to the Old twin engine airplane group???

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2018, 02:39:48 pm »
I think it is actually a "three-some"...  as I seem to recall a Cessna among the Beeches & Commanders in the mix somewhere.  Must be sorta like when Delta was flying the 747, DC-10 & L-1011 all at the same time.
Gotta love it 8)

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »
lol,  Adam,   Don't write me off, I still love Commanders and 680RR is still sitting here.  Getting annual done on her in next few weeks.

I still love Commanders and haven't changed opinions on them at all.  The things that took me to the 18 though is there are 8 of them within 25 miles of me and lots of expert help if I have any issues.  The Commander had 1 person that was an expert locally and that was me.  Under normal conditions the Commander would have been fine but flying as much as I need to be it was just wearing it out.

The 18 is by far the hardest airplane I've ever landed but once I got in the grove (about 6 landings) it hasn't been too bad.  Its issue really is just that it is big, heavy and short and once it gets moving in the wrong direction it is not easily stopped.  The answer seems to be to just not let it get started and you're perfectly fine.

The radial engines have a really high TBO and cost only 40k for a new replacement.  They seem to run really cool as well and even at Peak EGT don't go redline.  Mine cruises at 165knots on 42gph which is pretty close to what I was getting LOP in the Commander.  The room inside it though is massive and even with 5 people the other day going to Miami everyone was up walking around and changing seats.  I have 2020lbs of payload with full fuel which I don't think you'd find anything very many other planes.

It flies like a dream, very easily trimmed up and just sits put once there.  Very solid IFR.  In the air it is probably one of the easiest planes to fly.

Starting it was a bit of a learning curve with all the buttons and switches and turning mags on after first spinning props, but really isn't that bad once you get used to it.

It is loud as hell inside the cockpit, not sure about cabin but pretty sure :-).  Everyone back there says it is fine and no problems but can't imagine it is anywhere closed to the 680Fp as it was so quiet you could talk without the headsets.

Overall, atm, I am very very happy with the plane and very very sad to eventually see the Commander disappear as we have really loved going on trips with her.  She just needs to go to a 50 hour a year home instead of this one.  I'd still like to come to the Commander fly in's if you guys don't mind a strange plane sitting in the lot but Adam might kick me out. :-)

Also, don't worry about the state of forum as I'd never disconnect anything on you guys.

Glenn

--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Popeye

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:31 pm »
Does that leave me ALONE in the 680F world???? Did i read you came to Miami, and did not cash in on that dinner I promised?? Had a hangar empty for you...

N630TA
Ricardo Otaola

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2018, 04:26:25 pm »
You know, it was a last minute thing with my wife wanting to go with her friends to Shakira concert and my son and I had nothing to do but play on the beach.  I wish I had thought about calling you.  We were in Hollywood on the beach.  Not sure how far away that is from you.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.