News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thought I had a fuel leak....  (Read 5703 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Thought I had a fuel leak....
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:34 pm »
After landing yesterday, fuel was dripping from somewhere by the firewall on right engine. It came down just below and to the left of oil cooler. Wasn't tons, but more than usually expunged from the EPA valves. It kept dripping for about 20mins. Today, I de-cowled and did thorough inspection, but could not find any obvious leaks or untight fittings. Ran the right engine on the ground for about 10 mins - no leaks and could not replicate.

So it got me thinking.

At refuel yesterday at Lake Havasu, it was very hot and it was a quick turnaround, so I motored the engine with the igniter off just to bring it down in temp a little, then flipped the igniter and got her started. But this might have introduced some extra fuel into the engine that then somehow got lodged somewhere and was expunged on shudown. Could it have been that she released? It has not happened ever on previous refuelings.  ???

Thanks for advice as always.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:54:29 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Steve binnette

Re: Thought I had a fuel leak....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:32 pm »
I don’t have a clue, sorry.

I don’t think your start procedure had anything to do with it.  Another consideration during any start but particularly during hot or windy conditions is to make sure you have the nose pointed into the wind.

I will be curious with what is happening.  Doing a run up and decowling is exactly what I would have done. Now I would ask around and keep an eye on it.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:58:10 pm »
Yeah, will have to keep a close eye on it. It's in an area close to exhaust duct where I'd suspect one would not want to have too many leaks... ;)

Jfelipe.rojasr

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:47:14 am »
After landing yesterday, fuel was dripping from somewhere by the firewall on right engine. It came down just below and to the left of oil cooler. Wasn't tons, but more than usually expunged from the EPA valves. It kept dripping for about 20mins. Today, I de-cowled and did thorough inspection, but could not find any obvious leaks or untight fittings. Ran the right engine on the ground for about 10 mins - no leaks and could not replicate.

So it got me thinking.

At refuel yesterday at Lake Havasu, it was very hot and it was a quick turnaround, so I motored the engine with the igniter off just to bring it down in temp a little, then flipped the igniter and got her started. But this might have introduced some extra fuel into the engine that then somehow got lodged somewhere and was expunged on shudown. Could it have been that she released? It has not happened ever on previous refuelings.  ???

Thanks for advice as always.

Hi Adam,

Reading this post I found out that you have installed EPA valves in your aircraft. Does this valve avoid the spilling of fuel every time turbines are on and shut-down?

For our 690A we would like to installed the “EPA system” (haven’t found yet what would be the proper custom kit or STC) that would avoid spilling fuel when aircraft turbines are on and off.

Our engines are TPE331-5-252K

Does anyone can help me finding these valves, time of installation and quoting them?

Kind Regards

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »
Felipe - they're mandatory here, I think. All US based models should have had them installed. My EPA's leak slightly when they haven't been flown for awhile, but seal up after awhile. Not sure who can install them or who has the STC.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:44:06 pm »
I would have to think Geoffrey at Twin Commander could help you out. Or Bruce Byerly.

Jfelipe.rojasr

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:35:56 am »
Thank you all for your recommendation.

Kind Regards