News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GTN 750 VNAV  (Read 15031 times)

Steve binnette

Re: GTN 750 VNAV
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 11:57:24 am »
Don, that looks great I need to get that update.  Thanks for showing us.

KenFlo

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 08:15:42 am »
I will ask about both of those items.  I use Carpenter Avionics in Smyrna TN.  They have a great rep and have done excellent work for me so far.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 10:33:41 am »
I was looking at my AFM supplement, and all of the various boxes in the system (and there are a lot of them!) have software versions that need to be up to date. It may be that they just missed updating one of the other boxes or something.

KenFlo

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 07:57:59 am »
Thanks Don.  They reloaded all of the software to include the latest patch from Garmin that fixes the screen blackout issue on the GTN 750/650.  They also verified and updated again all of the systems in that loop.  They are working with Garmin on it.  So far its a real head-scratcher for them and Garmin.  It shouldn't make a difference but my G600 was one of the very early ones...they are looking into that as well.  I really appreciate everyone's feedback.  Will pass along updates as I have them.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 12:30:27 pm »
My experience with avionics systems is that if either a software version or a database is out of sync, it won't work. Maybe there is also some sort of hardware issue, but my bet is something is not in sync in terms of software.

Depending on how old your GTNs are, there was also a change in the databases a few years ago where you had to use a different navigation database after a certain version upgrade on the GTN. It required telling Garmin or Jeppesen that you had the new OS for the GTN... I'm sure your guys thought of that, but it's one more thing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:32:47 pm by donv »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »
I just had an interesting discovery, which is almost certainly related to the G600 update... the course needle on my copilot HSI (mechanical) no longer responds to turning the course knob on the HSI. The pointer still moves, but the needle doesn't respond, at least in VOR mode. It is instead slaved to the course needle on the G600... very weird.

Garmin suggested a fix, which involves losing the ability to display the #2 VOR on the G600, and I guess that is the best answer, from a redundancy point of view, but it is annoying to lose capability that I used to have. I used to use the #2 VOR on the bearing pointer on the G600 all the time... now I'll have to use the #1, which again, isn't the end of the world, but it is annoying to have to change.

KenFlo

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 08:19:35 am »
Don, I continue to have issues with mine as well.  I have given up.  This software update did nothing but cause issues for me....frustrating.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 08:49:55 am »
Umm maybe time to get the new G900 (G1000) to go with the new clear view windshield... then maybe the MT 5 blade props

Wallet... what wallet 8)

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 01:16:37 pm »
I'm not ready to give up. I really like the VNAV functionality.

Garmin did helpfully point out that if I bought a second G600, or upgraded my existing G600 to a TXi, the problem would magically go away. Not doing that at this time! Of course, a G950 would also solve the problem...