News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: N385cg  (Read 6627 times)

Dromader driver

N385cg
« on: August 05, 2018, 02:59:33 am »
Friends were watching N385CG on ASO but it disappeared. Anyone know if it sold or was withdrawn from sale. They got all motivated after Mick Kennedy wrote up his trans pacific trip in a 500.   

Thanks

Bruce Byerly

Re: N385cg
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 04:18:43 pm »
I wonder if that is the one that is going over the pacific?  I met some nice young lady at OSH who said she was flying a 680 overseas but had no Commander experience and it sounded like the plane needed work. I rolled my eyes a bit I think. I hope she’s careful.  I was hoping I might be able to connect her with someone for advice on the plane condition but I probably just offended her  :-X

Steve binnette

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
That’s a hard place to be, you see threats she could not understand.  Any idea what her route was.  I have several friends that flew ferry’s around the world in light planes.  Dangerous and boring job all at the same time. 

SoCalDan

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:13:43 pm »
It's great and romantic, but a lot of folks have no idea how large that segment of the Pacific is, not are they aware of the threats. That's not to say they aren't capable of making the flight, but they don't know what they don't know.

I've got 130+ CEPAC crossings in my logbook and I've heard more than one emergency GA airplane on guard. Scary stuff.
"The way I see it you can either work for a living or fly. Me? I'd rather fly." -Len Morgan

Dhavillandpilot

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:31:17 pm »
I concur re Pacific crossings.

When I bought my 685, I contemplated the Pacific route but opted for the longer Atlantic Asia flight.

Just as well we had a total engine failure 70 hours from start point, over Bangladesh. If I'd taken the Pacific route it would have happened between Fiji and Norfolk Island with no diversion option. Single engine flying for 5 hours with a landing point that goes out with sea fog regularly, I shudder to think.

If I had to do the Pacific option I'd look at the Alaska, Japan mid summer choice as the barest minimum, but that would still entail those pesky Islands to the south west of Anchorage.

Dhavillandpilot

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:06 am »
I've just heard from a mate Mike Gray from White Rose in the UK ( he does clearances)

Apparently there is no more AVgas for ferry flights in Christmas Island (KIRABATI) and in Pago Pago (US Samoa). For ferry flights across the Pacific

Steve binnette

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:59:49 pm »
That’s a shame,  I would imagine with the proper amount  of dollars you could get some a gas delivered there.

The northern pacific is a better way to go,   A lot more weather but a bunch more land under you.  A little patience and you can find a weather window.

Nobody wants to land in Russia and I hear it is expensive to land in Japan but it sure beats a raft!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 01:31:37 am »
Even so, the further western island is Attu in the Aleutians, but that has been shut down for decades. It's an emergency landing airport with little facility and prob no fuel. Nearest, that seems like "real" airport, is Adak or Unalaska. From there it's a pretty hefty jump to Japan, closer to 1500nm. A Jetprop could do it with the right winds, but only a few Avgas Commanders could deal with that hop without ferry tanks.

It's a challenging route.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Steve binnette

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:27:23 am »
Well I guess a stop in petro UHPP would be needed.  That about in the middle between Adak and Japan.

It is commonly used as a enroute alternate for the airlines.  Just would want to use a handler and get a visa.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:29 pm »
Can you get Avgas in Russia? If so, that's the way to go.