News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Loss of GPS signal  (Read 4477 times)

KenFlo

Loss of GPS signal
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:59:57 pm »
Today flying to Chicago at FL260, I had a total loss of GPS signal.  Both the GTN750 and 650 went out at the same time.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  RAIM prediction was good for the flight.  I did have the software updated this week and this was the first long flight since having that done but hopefully that did not cause it.  It came back after about ten min and had no issues remainder of flight.  Anyone else have this happen?  It is somewhat disconcerting when that happens.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Loss of GPS signal
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
This is why I kept my DME, and keep a VOR tuned when flying long distance!

I haven't had it happen to me, yet.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:49:01 pm »
Had the 430 go out over NM and Arizona a few years back, but the iPd and ForeFlight still worked, bizarrely enough. I also kept some VOR capabilities when I did my panel. You never know.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 11:58:32 pm »
Good thing you weren't flying a Phenom! You would have had an emergency on your hands. Crazy, I know...

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 12:41:12 pm »
About three years ago the Govt alphabet agencies along with the military were "toying" with some of the Southwest and Atlantic coast gps signals.  But most of the interruptions were slated via Notams. Did you ever review the Notams for your time frame?

There was one however that occurred in the area of "Giant Killer" on the East coast around 0300 local which caused a brief time of "WTF" reaction until I reacquired the signal a few minutes later. Seems it had something to do with the
DCA defense testing using the BD-5 jet as it has a very similar profile to a cruise missle.

I never found a Notam for that one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:19:40 am by SKYFLYER »