News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Instructor for commander 1000 training in Peoria on October 29??  (Read 4959 times)

Mike Lever

Does anybody have a recommendation on a good experienced twin commander instructor knowledgeable on the 1000 with Garmin panel??  We will be training under N registry before importing the airplane to Canada...   Byerly is scheduled to have the airplane ready on October 29th if not before.    I'd like to start training on the 29th if possible.

Back story is that Canadian regulations are quite stringent.  I have to get a type rating on the aircraft as well as a pilot proficiency check.  2 separate things. 2 separate sign-off's.    The simcom simulator doesn't meet the requirements because it reportedly doesn't have a class certification (according to the person I talked to at Simcom).

So looking for ground school and in-flight training per a syllabus that we will write into our approved operations manual.

thanks..

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Instructor for commander 1000 training in Peoria on October 29??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 12:39:22 pm »
Yeah, it's like in Europe - they demand a type rating.

Mike, give Larry York Aviation a call - they can do it.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »
I would second the suggestion of Larry York Aviation. They did my recurrent in the 980 (with Garmin panel) and it was excellent training.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 01:02:09 pm »
Larry York Aviation would be a good place to start for the  training your looking for but I suspect the syllabus will be the Achilles heal.  If I remember correctly you will have to get it (syllabus) approved before you can add it to an already approved Operations Manual. And there-in is the rub. One of the reasons Simcom is unable to help you.

There was an operator in Northern Canada that after a year of too and fro with the authorities over their syllabus ended up using an almost direct copy of the Flight Safety syllabus.  Maybe it is easier now.

Mike Lever

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 04:00:49 pm »
Thanks!  Really appreciate the recommendation.  I just left a message for Larry.   Hope to hear back soon..

The Transport Canada stuff is stringent but doable.   We submitted our Operations Manual several weeks ago including a training syllabus..  I think we covered all of their concerns...

A type rating is required in Canada on any aircraft with Vne 250 knots or greater.   So no type rating required on a 690 or 840.   Ultimately I chose a 1000 because of the higher pressurization differential knowing that I would have to deal with the consequences of a Vne of 253  (so close but just a wee bit too high)..

The biggest challenge is that my "proficiency check" on the airplane has to be conducted by a type rated pilot.  There are not many commander 1000 type rated guys in Canada.   And I don't think there are any in the USA.

KenFlo

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:21:02 am »
Interestingly, I have had several of the smaller CJs drivers tell me that it would make more sense to have a type rating requirement on a Commander rather than on the CJ.  I have never flown one but it must be much easier to fly than the Commander.  It is interesting that other countries require a type rating for a US manufactured aircraft but provide no means to achieve that rating.  Let us know how this goes, very interesting.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:14:16 am »
I've never flown a CJ, but I have a few hundred hours (including some single pilot time) in Citation 501s and 550s. They are easier to fly than the Commander, with the caveat that things do happen a bit faster in the Citations.

Realistically, insurance more or less mandates a "type rating" in just about any turbine in the US anyway... it just doesn't go on your license.