News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Electronics International E-1 EGT Gauges  (Read 6560 times)

dcronin37

Electronics International E-1 EGT Gauges
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:14:25 pm »
Hello, I am currently working on my schools 1968 Commander 680W, I have seen online (I think Adam's) 680V cockpit have the electronic EGT gauges.  I would like to figure out how to replace the "cakepot" and compensator boxes so I have proper EGT indications. 

dcronin37

Re: Electronics International E-1 EGT Gauges
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:16:13 pm »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:05:40 pm »
Yeah, they were an upgrade via STC. As I recall, they were a separate STC from the -1 engine upgrade (as in they're not part of that package), bit not sure they work on -43A/BL engines. I'm assuming they do. There was also an intermediate version where rather than a digital readout, you had a LED light ring (if I recall correctly).

I can't remember who makes these gauges at the top of my head, but I can check when I get the books back from annual. In them emanative, maybe someone will know on the forum.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

dcronin37

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:23:29 pm »
Yeah, they were an upgrade via STC. As I recall, they were a separate STC from the -1 engine upgrade (as in they're not part of that package), bit not sure they work on -43A/BL engines. I'm assuming they do. There was also an intermediate version where rather than a digital readout, you had a LED light ring (if I recall correctly).

I can't remember who makes these gauges at the top of my head, but I can check when I get the books back from annual. In them emanative, maybe someone will know on the forum.

Gotcha, I see they are approved as an STC through Electronics International, but I can't find much information on the wiring for them.  As of now the 680W has the compensator boxes which are causing a lot of the EGT indication issues, not to mention the ribbons inside the indicators are broken.  I plan on making the new panel incorporate the E-1 gauges, but I need to find out soon as I am cutting the panel metal. 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:02:03 pm »
Have you asked Twin Commander?

dcronin37

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 11:35:38 pm »
Have you asked Twin Commander?
That's a good point, I have asked them for other things in the past, but I can't remember if I asked them about this. 

dcronin37

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:34:32 pm »
I asked Twin Commander but they didn't seem interested in helping.  Adam, could you do me a huge favor, and look in your wiring diagram manual to see if someone has updated the schematic for your EGT indicating system?  That might be my only way of figuring this out.

Thank You 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 08:54:56 pm »
If you google, you can find an E-I price list (from 2018) which has the TPE-331-1 wiring harness for the EGT listed. However, it's for their newer gauge with the needle and digital read-out, but still might be worth a call to E-I to ask.

Except, does your airplane have the -43 or -1? That might be an issue.

dcronin37

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »
It has the original -43 engines unfortunately.  The install does not need to be airworthy, as it is a grounded school aircraft.  Anything that indicates accurately would allow us to run it safely.  Anybody have any ideas?