News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ice light modification idea...  (Read 4877 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Ice light modification idea...
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:21:56 pm »
So, one of the most common problems with all aircraft I've ever owned is the situational awareness at night at unfamiliar airports. The taxi and landing lights are not designed to light up towards the sides, and more times than I care to admit, I've almost ended up in the grass or in a ditch at night simply because I couldn't properly see where I was going towards the sides. So for years I've been thinking of a solution that wouldn't be too invasive. And the ice-light seems like the perfect spot to do a solution:

With todays compact LED technology it would be pretty simple to make a replacement for the bulb that could achieve two things - one is to act as the ice light (as was intended), but also have one or two beams that would illuminate towards the front and sides for the purpose of awareness.

So, is this something I should pursue? I'm assuming an STC for such a project wouldn't be totally prohibitive? Would you buy it?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

Re: Ice light modification idea...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:20:52 pm »
Adam - I just keep my head down and look my iPad taxi diagram. No need to look outside  ;)

Honestly never thought about it but I do notice when the ice lights are burned out and I’m in the clouds. At night. And scared.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:28 pm »
That's when the flashlight comes in handy. That and functioning boots!  ;)
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:13:15 am »
That's when the flashlight comes in handy. That and functioning boots!  ;)

Yes.  The D cell flashlight is always readily accessible. Ha.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:03 pm »
The great thing now is that I can carry two little LED flashlights that actually are easily accessible-- and will illuminate the wing!

With the tax lights on the gear, it's easy to stay on the taxiway at night. The taxiway to my hangar is a little tight (due to my neighbor's stacked containers, but don't get me started on them!), but as long as the nosewheel is on the yellow line, I'm good. So that's all I'm looking at.