News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some Times Storms Are Good  (Read 8653 times)

kent4142

Some Times Storms Are Good
« on: October 24, 2018, 05:56:18 pm »
My family has a cottage in Owls Head ME.  The closest airport is Knox County, KRKD - Rockland.  We have come to enjoy taking my step mother up there in the beginning of the summer, and picking her up in the Fall.

This year was extra fun because we surfed on the back side of a long front that ran from North Florida to Connecticut.

Check out the GS on the lower right side of the 650.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Some Times Storms Are Good
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:41:08 pm »
Nice!

Steve binnette

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:38 am »
That looks good!

KenFlo

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:09:15 am »
That is awesome.  Usually when I see those winds they are off the nose!  My luck!

Roy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:44:53 pm »
Wow!!! Sweet!

KenFlo

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:38:22 am »
True to my luck, 96 Knot headwind flying down to College Station.  Even the airline drivers were complaining about the winds.  And that was at FL240....it was worse up higher.
  Of course when I came back on Sunday the winds had dropped and had a 60 knot tailwind.  Good, but didn't make up for the 96 knot headwind.  West to East winds this time of year are brutal!

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »
Isn't that called "life in the fast lane"

kent4142

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:39:21 pm »
OKAY, OKAY ENOUGH!!!  I had my payback this week.  I have been dying to fly the Commander to San Diego with my wife - my old stomping grounds.  Soooo, this year my wife said okay.  Would you believe from DeLand FL to Montgomery field we had 70 to 100 knot head winds the entire trip?!!!

Uuughh.  I am not going to whine too much though, it was still faster that the 414 we had with no head winds.

The weather in KMYF was snotty though, all day long the ceilings were 2,200 scattered 4,000 overcast with light winds until about 20 minutes out.  Letting down we got ice, rain, turbulence, and strong winds out of the North - a direct cross wind for runway 28R, oh and after the sun had just gone down.  I think I used every button in the airplane.

Coming home tonight was beautiful!  Not so much tail winds, but CAVU after New Mexico.  7 hours including a fuel stop.

I also waved to a guy flying N681SP.  I think that would be Stanley Perkins.  He did a trip around the field before we took off.  I could tell he was a master - watching him touch down.  Very smooth.  We waved but I didn't have time to visit.

Steve binnette

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 01:01:31 am »
7 hrs is really good time.  Where did you stop for fuel.  When I do Socal to Florida I stop in Waco Tx.  They have really cheap fuel if you belong to C.A.A.

Usually the weather is in Florida not California?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 07:51:12 am »

I also waved to a guy flying N681SP.  I think that would be Stanley Perkins.  He did a trip around the field before we took off.  I could tell he was a master - watching him touch down.  Very smooth.  We waved but I didn't have time to visit.

Yeah, that'd be Stan. He's based there and knows more about operating and flying his 681 than perhaps anyone. I always call him when I need in-depth knowledge about the early turbines.

Glad your trip was nice, although the weather could have been better!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

kent4142

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:33:43 am »
Hi Steve,

We used Foreflight's fuel map feature and found KETN.  $3.25 per gallon.  It has been as low as $3.00 per gallon before.  The runway is only 60' wide and there is no parallel taxi way.  But Bode, the proprietors first name, does a great job and they have a new FBO building.

Sort of fun stopping there.

KETN is 100 miles west of Waco.  Sort of in the middle between Dallas, Abilene and Waco.

Steve binnette

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 12:25:06 pm »
Kent
That is a nice mid point stop, I typically just want fuel and a bathroom.

For reference if you belonged to C.A.A. the price for Jet A at Waco whic is one of the lowest in the country is $2.18 per gallon today.

You can join C.A.A. for free for six months after that it cost $600 a year.

If you join JetFuelX a free service it will combine all of your fuel purchasing cards onto one map.  I used it for a while but C.A.A. was the best route 90% of the time.

JetFuelX was bought by ForeFlight.  I understand you can sign into your JetFuelX account with foreflight which will populate the foreflight fuel map with the cost a fuel using your cards information.

The foreflight fuel map by itself only shows retail fuel prices.  That works great for 100 LL but the jet fuel prices are much more of a mystery.

There is very  little reason to pay retail for jet fuel.  The system of pricing forces you to do some research.  I have found C.A.A. to be far and away the best.

The citation jet pilots association has a shell card that I use once a year or so.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »
I want to second Steve's comments about CAA. They are the best deal around.

In some cases, if the FBO isn't a CAA FBO but you still need or want to go there, you can also negotiate. I called Bermuda Dunes and got a nice discount because we'll be in and out of there quite a bit over the next few months. It's not as cheap as CAA at Thermal, but it's a much shorter drive for us.

kent4142

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 06:33:13 pm »
Steve,

I obviously live in Florida.  80% of my travel is in the South and North East as well as MN.  Would you say CAA is still the way to go for me considering my common areas flown?  I can't believe how cheap the Waco fuel is with the discount!

Thanks!!!!

Steve binnette

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 11:42:29 pm »
If you give me some airports I can give you prices. 

Really you should just sign up for the free 6 months and play with it.