News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Windshield crack  (Read 7756 times)

KenFlo

Windshield crack
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:47 pm »
Flying into College Station today at about 11,000 feet my CP outer windshield cracked.  Fortunately, nothing else happened and I made the landing with no further issues.  I have no clue what caused it, low heat was on, and pressuration was low at that altitude.  I was coming down from FL 260 where it was ISA +5, again nothing out of the ordinary.  I understand that is an extremely expensive fix.  Good Christmas luck I guess.
  Happen to anyone else?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:49:18 pm by KenFlo »

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: Windshield crack
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 06:51:32 am »
You are correct... a 50K fix and it has happened to just about everyone who has flown Commanders for very long.  Also most of the insurance carriers do NOT cover cracked or broken glass.

It really does suck...  HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:25:35 am »
Happened to forum member Steve Binnette on his first flight after signing the contract! :o

Yeah, it's closer to $55K/side these days, which sucks. You might be able to find one used for less, but think they're pretty far and few between. Sorry for your bad luck - not fun! But at least it held up like it was designed to do.

Could you hear it crack in flight, or just saw it?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:41:41 am »
Sorry to hear that.  Tough time for that to happen.

Are you at Easterwood now?  Is your Commander on the ramp?

I am heading out that way soon to clean mine up after yesterday's flight and oil change and would enjoy looking at your bird.

ed
Ed

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:58 am »
It just happens when they get old. How old was the windshield? It should have a date on it near the bottom.

I had one go a couple of years ago... it was original to the airplane (1981) so I think 35 years old... on a per year basis, not too bad!

Amazingly enough, you are allowed to fly it to the repair station that way! It's in the AFM.

Steve binnette

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:11:00 am »
True enough I had one go early in my ownership.  The new ones have a gold tint to them that looks nice and has better sun protection.

KenFlo

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:05:06 am »
Not sure how old it was but I believe several.  I flew it back home without pressurization at FL190 sucking on oxygen at first but soon tired of that so descended to 13K for the remaining of trip.  Good news they are readily available.  My shop in Fayetteville has already ordered it and will probably have it installed in a couple of weeks.  Thanks for the input and sympathy!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 11:43:30 am »
Just FYI, did you review the AFM procedure before flying home? I believe you can actually run a couple of PSI of pressure.

In my case, it was an inner pane, so running a bit of pressurization kept the broken pieces in place.

KenFlo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 08:47:40 am »
I knew from earlier post here on this site that I could legally fly it home.  In discussions with my maintenance manager and in the interest of best case outcome, we decided not to have any pressurization.  It all worked out except for the large bill.  Windshield is now $51K, a $500 install kit, shipping, and about 60 man hours to install.  All at the same time my annual, insurance, and annual training are due....but at least flying a Commander is priceless! 

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 12:16:02 pm »
What can anyone say except... 'I LOVE IT WHEN THE PLAN COMES TOGETHER" 8)

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 02:41:28 pm »
If you want to console yourself (or explain it to your spouse!) you can argue that it adds value to the airframe.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
Sorry for the bad luck! Keep in mind the warranty on the expensive windshield requires service center installation.

Steve binnette

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
I should know this but I don’t.  What does the windshield warranty cover in general terms?

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 03:30:22 pm »
UMMM... lets see... pretty much nothing after taxing away from the repair facility.

Actually I have been lucky as the Commander before the one I have now had just replaced both wind screens a week before my taking delivery.
I was told that there was no warranty to transfer and I did not pursue it at the time.

However... Bruce will know and I sorta suspect a 30 to 90 day maybe just to cover the install errors that can happen.

On a side note.. Gulfstream had a number of issues with the windscreens on the G-1's.  The Montgomery Ward Corp had N712MW and for a time they could not keep the right side intact for more than 20 hours until it cracked... the flaw being in the glass itself from the mfg. So even getting the new replacement did not fix the issue.
And back then it was very pricyyyy as it is now not to mention the down time.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »
I found this through Google:

As stated in the factory warranty, windshields are warrantied for two years from date of manufacture or 18 months from install, providing the windshield is installed within 30 days of date of purchase. As an additional protection, new windshields installed by a Twin Commander Factory Authorized Service Center are eligible for a pro rata warranty for up to 36 months.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2014/07/02/twin-commander-offers-summer-special-on-windshield-replacement/

Much better than I would have guessed... I was thinking 12 months.