News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: picked up our new twin commander!  (Read 9818 times)

Mike Lever

picked up our new twin commander!
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:02:57 pm »
Picked up our new commander 1000 from Bruce and Scott and had a great flight home to CYVR.  I had forgotten what a sweet ride these airplanes are.   Climbs like crazy.    Ran 30 degrees cool and still sped along at 299 knots at FL240 at ISA.  540 pph.   Best of all is the wonderful control forces.

I need to figure out how to post pics.

In training now working with the guys from Airspray.   They have a fleet of 12 commanders used as bird dogs for their tankers.    Training has been really interesting so far.   We did airwork yesterday including full-on stalls.   The wing drop on a long wing commander is really something!!

Ex N71MR.   Now C-GSHQ.  based at YVR  Vancouver.   We have spent a ton of money restoring this bird but it's worth it.     Hoping to make our first business trip down to Mexico next week once I have my type rating and PCC.

donv

• Administrator
Re: picked up our new twin commander!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:22:04 pm »
Congratulations!

Where are you based in YVR? I get up to Landmark there several times a year.

Mike Lever

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:41:37 am »
Cool!    Landmark fuels our Beaver.   They are good guys and offer great service.      Their pricing on CAA is better than World Fuel everywhere else.

We have the Commander hangared temporarily at Signature while we sort out a permanent deal.    I think we will end up at either Signature or out at CZBB Boundary Bay.

If you come through when I'm out of town, you are very welcome to use my hangar spot and get your commander inside..    And if I'm in town, I'd love to see your bird and soak up some more tribal knowledge on Commanders.

JMA

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:56:16 pm »
Congrats Mike- great plane...
N515AM, been at PHL (Atlantic Aviation) since '80 (come to think of it thats a ton of money spent for monthly hangar fees for almost 40 years!)

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:02:29 pm »
This thread is worthless without pics!  ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:04:01 pm by Bruce Byerly »

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:13:18 pm »
One thing is for sure... everyone will know who you are and that will be a good thing for business.

A great look for a great white.

JMA

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 06:37:05 pm »
Fantastic Paint Job-
So let me get this straight- we now have a dolphin, shark, and mouse on commander's out there!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:45:57 am »
Looks great! So envious.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 12:10:52 pm »
That does look great!

JMA, there is also one with a large hummingbird on the side! Or at least, that's how it used to look, anyway. I don't know if it still has that paint job or not.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:59:42 pm »
It would seem that you have a big brother

Steve binnette

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 06:05:20 am »
So nice, we need to see the inside now.  You have years of enjoyment in front of you.

EricDapp

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 11:53:27 pm »
I see a trend

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:44 am »
So how was your first trip to Mexico???

Give us a PIREP

Mike Lever

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 09:51:07 pm »
We've been having lots of fun with SHQ.   Did the training and completed my type rating with the help of some guys from Airspray, the fire suppression guys out in Red Deer, Alberta.   They operate 12 twin commanders as bird dogs including another 1000.   The training was comprehensive and I'm starting to feel comfortable in the airplane.    Banged out our first trip this week with a quick jaunt on Tuesday from Vancouver YVR nonstop to Ensenada  MMES.   We're having some teething problems with the airplane including a wonky EGT indication on the RH engine and very little heat in the cabin but the airplane did it's job magnificently.  ~ 4 hours each way with a stiff crosswind from the pacific - up to 60 knots on the nose on the way down - landing with 1000 lbs to spare on the way down and 1200 lbs landing in Vancouver the following evening.  It's everything we had hoped for.  other than frostbitten toes and fingers!!    The airplane was so cold soaked that we had an instant fog and condensation opening the door on the Ensenada ramp.   I was especially pleased at how the airplane handled with full anti-ice running in IMC northbound punching through the big front that swept through California on Wednesday.    it was no sweat with all the systems and radar working properly.    Funniest comment was the same question from 3 different different Canadian controllers  on the way down -  "confirm your destination is MMES"  yes.  "that's in Mexico right"  affirmative.  "confirm you are going nonstop in a prop airplane".  affirmative.  "cool!!  cleared for takeoff 26L".     I was surprised to get that reaction on an 1100 nm trip.  That's not that far for a twin commander!   pics' following if I can figure out a way to get them off my phone.

Mike Lever

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 09:54:13 pm »
Flying over Mt. St. Helens southbound before the weather turned snotty.