News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tugs, Tow Bars, and Robots  (Read 3996 times)

kent4142

Tugs, Tow Bars, and Robots
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:20:09 pm »
Hi All,

I am building a new hangar for the Commander.  I was wondering what y'all (a southern word) are using for moving your airplanes around.  Also, powering avionics for updates, running AC on the ground and possibly GPU's at your own hangar>

Thanks,

Kent in Florida

Bruce Byerly

Re: Tugs, Tow Bars, and Robots
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:53:32 pm »
Kent - if you want troublefree 1000 amp power, I recommend a Hobart GPU 600. Takes 3 phase Power only I think.  I think they are 12-14k. Alternatively, a bunch of farm tractor batteries wired up together can give a good start boost at low cost.  For radios only without big draw items, a 115v converter box can work and can be found in use in many facilities. There are lots of tug options but you do have to be careful with nose gear door to tire clearance on some. Those robotic radio controlled units can work well and allow one person watch the tail while also moving the bird. 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 12:45:16 am »
I have a small Lektro. Mine can also function as a GPU, but not for starting. I use it sometimes to clean the cabin, but that's the most that I need it for. A GPU which could be used for starting wouldn't be of much use to me, since I don't have anyone to pull the plug once the engines are running.

Honestly, way more important than having a GPU is having a battery trickle charger.

KenFlo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:05:59 am »
I would love to have my own hangar as well.  I have always dreamed of a big hangar with a beautiful epoxy floor large enough for all of my stuff with a nice dwelling in the back.  I would probably never leave except by the runway!  Good luck with the build!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:44:14 pm »
Hangars are great. I went with a polished concrete floor rather than the epoxy, even though initially I wanted the epoxy. My contractor (who also has a very nice hangar on my home field) strongly recommended the polished concrete, and I have to say I've been very happy with it.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:40 am »
Kent your in Florida...  so I would suggest going with the epoxy as the "bare" polished surface will develop the usual Florida mold over time.  The further south and the closer to either coast will dictate how fast it develops.

I have had both.. starting with the polished concrete but soon decided to have the epoxy put on.

Where Don lives this is not a problem.. so polished works pretty well.

Just a couple thoughts here

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36:24 pm »
Yes on charger!  Realistically, unless you have ground crew, you shouldn’t worry about the GPU. Not that big of a deal. It’s what those big batteries are for.  That said, if you’re doing 30 min legs you probably could use a GPU.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:25:46 am »
WOW.. All this time I thought that was what having kids was for... 'ground crew" 8)