News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: BBA Aviation buys Twin Commander LLC...  (Read 3683 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
BBA Aviation buys Twin Commander LLC...
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:59:09 am »
Gotta say, it's a little worrying as you might imagine - BBA Aviation owns Signature and we all know how Signature operates - by charging as much as they can, all the time. I sure hope BBA won't apply the same practices to TC, as they do in the FBO business. But I wouldn't be surprised if the parts prices are in for a hike.

What you think?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: BBA Aviation buys Twin Commander LLC...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:17:06 am »
Yep.. those were my thoughts as I read the press release this morning.  Seems like anytime something is good .. it soon gets eaten' up. :(

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »
I actually think it makes a lot of sense, especially if you look at the other companies they own (Dallas Airmotive, for example). Take a look at the Ontic website.

Signature FBOs tend to be lousy because of their business model-- acquire monopoly position at busy air carrier hubs. Those are by nature expensive, and since they have no competition, they don't have much incentive to provide good service. In places where Signature FBOs have competition, they're usually okay.

In Twin Commander's case, they have somewhat of an incentive to keep parts prices within reason, since they want the fleet to continue to fly and rack up hours, and parts usage. If they over-price the parts, or reduce the support, many operators will switch to something else. And it seems like more and more Twin Commanders are in utility roles rather than corporate/private usage, so they are going to be fairly price sensitive.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:02 pm »
You're not wrong Don. When I was up at AeroAir, they only had a single 690B left in te fleet. I think they used have almost 10 of them. Richard was also saying that they work less and less on Commanders and the operators that used to use them, seem to have switched to PC12's mainly. The reality is they're getting older and the fleet will thin out. A little sad, but inevitable. So let's enjoy them as long as we can!  ;)
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.