News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Selling or parting out the 680V?  (Read 9189 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Selling or parting out the 680V?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 01:13:48 am »
Looks like it will fall out of escrow now. I've done my bit. I'm kind of happy about it, to be honest. :D Always wanted to keep her after all we've been through, just underestimated how much money a startup eats.

Plan is to fix the most pressing stuff with AeroAir, then ferry her back here and try to do as much as I can locally and at a slower pace. Wish us luck.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 01:39:27 am »
I'm glad to hear it, Adam. Good luck, and please do reach out when you come up to pick her up!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 02:22:33 am »
Will certainly do that, Don!

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 07:34:52 am »
So the adventure continues...  I like it 8)

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:59 am »
Make sure your shop doesn't have an Andreas working there.  He moved somewhere else and not sure where.  Super nice guy and will make you think he's a Commander Guru but he's no where close.

My 2 cents on the sale/scrap...

First off, I never think about the plane in terms of getting my money out.  It is more a matter of, am I going to fly it and is it worth it to me to spend the money to get there.  I would think your plane, once flying, would be a lot more reliable than the IGSO 540 engines I have to deal with on the commander.  Which are fine for most people that fly 50 hours a year or so but putting 400-500 hours a year on them is just too much. 

At the end of the day I chose to go back to the old school of flying for a number of reasons.  1) I can do most of the work on the plane which saves me a ton of money. 2) If I do  have a problem it is more likely a couple thousand dollars to fix and even if I had to replace an entire engine it is only $40,000.  Yes I get there a good bit behind you but I love to fly and the extra hours in the cockpit just isn't a big deal to me.  I just plan my trips to allow for it.

At the end of day my life is much simpler and laid back.  The Beech 18 is a blast to fly which is all I really care about anyway.

So my advice is that if you can spare the extra $70k from time to time to keep the thing going then do it.  If it is boarder line and any given moment you could be grounded to have to save up money to fix something, then perhaps it is the wrong plane.  But thinking about getting your money back from any airplane is just foolish.  They are, at the end of the day, something we use to get us away from the rest of the world.  That has value in itself.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 12:22:54 pm »
If we had a "like" button, I would click it for this post! Couldn't agree more.

So my advice is that if you can spare the extra $70k from time to time to keep the thing going then do it.  If it is boarder line and any given moment you could be grounded to have to save up money to fix something, then perhaps it is the wrong plane.  But thinking about getting your money back from any airplane is just foolish.  They are, at the end of the day, something we use to get us away from the rest of the world.  That has value in itself.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 01:07:44 pm »
Oh, I gave up trying to get my money back on airplanes years ago!  ;) It's impossible unless you have a C185 or a Cub!

$70K is not normally a problem, but this year it is. I've had to put $150K into new business venture in the last year and that's eaten all my savings/earnings etc. And its not over yet. It will start to generate money next year, but it still means I need to get through this year on two fronts - startup and plane. That's why I need to be really smart with the expenses this year and can't afford to do gold plated stuff. It's gonna be to the bones. If I can save on stuff, that's how it's going to have to be this year. The good thing is that as far as regulations and airworthiness go, the 680V is as cheap a turbine as you can own, pretty much! No calendar items.

PS. During entire escrow I was looking at planes for sale, knowing I'd need something to fly if it got sold. It was a thoroughly depressing exercise. I looked at C152's, C175's, Stinson's, even Commander Lark's etc. Fine, but not really traveling planes (which is what I will really need with new business). Looked at some beat up old Skymaster push-pulls, etc. Things are expensive now and there's a lot of overpriced junk out there. C175's you couldn't give away 5 years ago, now they're in the $50K region. Beat up old C152's with 10000hrs TT? $25K etc. I'm glad I didn't have to go there as it is.  ;D

The saga continues!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:17:21 pm by Adam Frisch »

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »
For some odd reason it just would not seem right getting a video from you in a C152... How would you be able to show the sleeping arrangement 8)