News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1966 Turbo Commander 680V w. Century engine upgrade for sale.  (Read 14958 times)

Roy

Re: 1966 Turbo Commander 680V w. Century engine upgrade for sale.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 12:50:32 am »
I like your plan Adam, better than TN or throwing the towel in entirely.

Great plan... I know you'll "be back".

schrambow

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:52 pm »
Hello Adam,
you have a nice looking bird there, and thanks for sharing your journey with it. I hope it all works out well for you in the future.
Quick question that i am curious in.  The machine/contraption on your nose wheel in some of the photos, i assume that is an electric RC Tug? or is it just a stop?  I haven't really seen something like that and I was just curious when i saw it in a few of your photos and wondering if it is a tug, does it work well and where did you get something like that?
thanks
Corey
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:52:43 pm by schrambow »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38:40 pm »
Hi Corey

That's an AC Air Technology remote control tug. They work great, even on big and heavy planes due to their big surface area tracks. It's built by Anthony Chan in Chino, who also just happens to be a Turbo Commander owner. Mine is the T1.5 model with the lazy susan addition. The little tug scoops up the front wheel all by itself and then you can tow it around really tight turns without exceeding the steering limits on the Commanders. Love the little thing.

http://acairtechnology.com
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

schrambow

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 10:08:27 am »
sorry to highjack your thread here, I should probably ask this question in a different spot, but not sure where.  You think this tug would work for a 10,325 pound 840?  How does it work in heavy snow and ice also?  We are thinking about getting a used Lektro, but I am wondering if I should consider this unit you have instead?  Again, sorry to go sideways with your initial thread.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 02:09:03 pm »
schrambow check out under "general discussion" page 13 "TUGS"

Good thread on tugs in less than level paved pads.

donv

• Administrator

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 05:07:10 pm »
Times are changing... I know this is not the best time to sell anything, but I have to think about the future of my family if no work comes in for me in the foreseeable future.

Read the initial postings for all times, equipment etc.

So, what has happened since last time? Plane has been at service center AeroAir all this time and work has been done all along, but at a pretty slow pace. We've repaired the fuel tanks, they no longer leak. All other smaller stuff has been done. Finalizing cabin leaks as we speak. Plane is flyable and ferryable.

What remains to do:

1. Exchange boots on MW. Estimate for this was $12K

2. We had a disagreement about the cycle times on the 3rd stage wheel on L engine. They say it's about 100 cycles over, my calculations showed it was about 150 cycles left. But I have no option but to go with their head mechanics interpretation, so this is something you probably have to contend with, either there or somewhere else. Estimates for used 3rd stage wheel is about $2-4K for wheels with another 1000-2000 cycles (Hancock Enterprises in TN). Taking engine off, replacing with used wheel, probably welding burner can (very common that there are cracks), replacing end bearing, is estimated at $12-15K.

3. Prop inspection. The props are almost new, so do not overhaul them and grind them down and spend money on that, but Hartzell will try to make you do that. Stand your ground, the overhaul is just a Hartzell recommend and an SB, so strictly you don't have to do that part 91 But maybe a good idea after 6 years. An inspection will be about $8K and they will pass, guaranteed.

4. Interior behind pilots seats are still down here with me in SoCal at the upholstery shop, but I will collect this and ship it to buyer at sale. Or you can finish the interior remake here at upholstery shop, if you so wish. I've already paid for half of it, so $5K-ish to finish?

This is a great plane with almost no calendar items. That makes it cheap to own. You can probably not run a turbine any cheaper than this. This is a $550/hr plane if you're a little pro-active on parts.

I'm asking $150K firm for hopefully some interest. I'll consider taking an old Cessna 150 or 172 in as a partial (or anything else that might be fun), but probably not in excess of $20K in value.

For less than $200K this is a flying, all weather turbine with a new panel. I've spent in excess of $350K on this plane, so it's a lot of value. Plane can be ferried by me with a ferry permit to your location and can be inspected at AeroAir in Hillsboro, OR. I will only use an escrow service for the safety of both parties. Can be one of your choice or AirTitle that I've used many times before.

PM me for any other info or phone number. Thanks. Sad times.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 06:54:50 pm »
Adam I am truly sorry to read this...  hopefully your excellent wine adventure will grow to the point you will yet again be able to renew your Commander ties.

I think the coming 18 months will test us all and those who survive both financially and health wise will be very lucky indeed.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 01:52:15 pm »
I am also sorry to read this, but you have to do what you have to do...

The good news is that the airplane should end up being a pretty good one for the next owner, and I think Dan or Richard at Aero Air could provide a lot of confidence for a buyer in terms of what it needs to be finished.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 05:45:58 pm »
Yeah, I think the hump is def over with this aircraft. It should provide good and cost effective service for anyone who's willing to take it on. And if nobody wants it, I'll ferry her back here and sit things out. At this point.... It is sad, but so much time has passed now, I don't even feel like I'm a pilot anymore. I stay current in simulators and there's been no reason to renew medical as I've had nothing to fly for over a year.

Right now I think we all have bigger problems than aviation to deal with in the coming months.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 02:03:03 pm »
I'd kind of be surprised if anyone is buying airplanes in this environment, with all the uncertainty. Well, anyone who doesn't have a contract or specific use for the aircraft that is either related to the current crisis, or something else, like firefighting.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 02:33:24 pm »
Unfortunately, I think you're right. This is gonna be a very rough couple of years ahead.

Hamertime614

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 07:14:27 pm »
So is this off the market?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 08:18:14 pm »
For now, yes.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:27 pm »
When are you coming up here to get it?