News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Paint  (Read 16041 times)

donv

• Administrator
Paint
« on: April 24, 2019, 12:51:33 pm »
I got a quote of approximately $44,000 to paint my 980, in a relatively complex scheme (factory scheme was $42,500). Does that seem about ballpark? And, anything special I should ask for, or things I should ask about?

This is a reputable paint shop fairly close to me, so going to Mena to save a few thousand doesn't make much sense, as I would burn up all the savings flying there and back. These guys have painted Commanders (and, in particular, Jetprops) before.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:34:36 pm »
Sounds about right, but at the upper end. I got quotes between $18K and all the way up to $50K when I checked. If they do a nice job for that then it's worth it if it's close.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:24:04 am »
It's Sunquest Air in Everett, WA.

JMA

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:40:52 am »
DonV- we took our 980 our to Oklahoma.  Let me get you a name and pricing.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:17:30 pm »
Were the 980 numbers and little stripes on the winglets painted, or stickers?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:42:52 pm »
There’s a custom shop in Peoria, IL that does fantastic work. They have been painting Commanders for over 40 years. Satisfaction guaranteed!  ;)

Seriously ... I grew up around aircraft paint shops. I have painted planes myself and feel like I could write a book on those experiences. But one thing I have learned for sure is that there is no short cutting the process for quality and a Commander 980 or the like takes 600+ hours of labor to do right.  You can get a $25k paint job and it may even shine but there are going to be compromises made. Some irreversible.

Steve binnette

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 04:01:28 am »
Don, Byerly did my paint job and it looks fantastic.  I did 4 colors with a complicated scheme and it cost 50k or there abouts.

I have no regrets, they polished a bunch of things I never thought of, like tail skid, drain post on bottom of engine.

The plane looks awesome.  I get compliments every where I go.

Don’t skimp on the paint.  It is all in the preparation and they do a great job.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 02:12:56 pm »
I can attest that Steve's paint job is first class.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 07:14:54 pm »
Are there any tools for paint scheme design out there? I could hire a scheme designer, and maybe that's what I need to do.

Byerly would be a good option, but flying across the country for something I can get 45 minutes away doesn't make much sense to me... I'm sure they would do a great job, but from what I can find out, SunQuest has painted a lot of Commanders, with fine results.

I'm still vacillating between the stock 980 paint scheme and a more custom one. My wife says she prefers the factory scheme, but also says how I paint my airplane (within reason) simply isn't something she cares that much about...

JMA

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 03:31:06 pm »
Don, ours was done at Servicenter in OK.

Steve binnette

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:57:30 am »
Don do you have any photos of the original scheme you might use?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »
I saw your airplane at HIO this weekend!

The original scheme looks like this:

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 12:45:36 pm »
I am leaning against doing that, however. I'm thinking of hiring Scheme Designers, who I think did your airplane, to come up with something with more of a solid blue bottom and white top.

Steve binnette

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 03:59:20 pm »
Working with scheme designers was fun.  Try working with them, if you cannot come up with something better than the original paint, then just fall back on that.  I bet you will end up with an updated original design.

I was in Hillsboro for my sons first MMA fight in Portland.  The Rumble at the Roseland.  Scary for a Parent.

The fight went to a decision and my son lost.  He did really well for his first fight.  I kind of hope he stops but I think he wants to fight again.

He is a senior in mechanical engineering and has his private and multi rating. I told him your head can only take so much abuse.  He is 22 and bulletproof, what do I know?

I completely forgot HIO was your home airport until I saw aero air on taxi in.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:53:56 am by Steve binnette »

JMA

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 04:48:47 pm »
Steve- see if you can sway him a little more.  Have a friend who was seriously injured in that sport.

Don- great pic, where did that come from?!?