News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flying out to Chino this week  (Read 3936 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Flying out to Chino this week
« on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »
I'll be flying the Beech 18 along with a buddy of mine in his Lockheed 12A on Wednesday this week.  Planning to get to Chino on Thursday if all works out.  Any of you guys planning to come to show?

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Flying out to Chino this week
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:27:17 pm »
Are you flying the Commander at all?

How are you liking the 18? I'd love to hear more about your experiences with it.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:56:51 pm »
So here is the deal:

Commander has been in Hanger at another airport for almost a year.  I've been flying the 18 and working on it getting things like I want them.  Mainly interior and panel.  The airplane is 15-20 knots slower than the commander but actually burns less gas.  The Commander is a better flying airplane and in my humble opinion a better built airplane.  However,

I was planning to keep the Commander and get the annual done so I went to pick it up to fly it back to my hanger.  On the way back the cable for the prop governor on the left engine snapped on landing.  I also need to remove the gear box on the engine to have it rebuilt.  I think I've just decided though that I'm going to sell it as I don't really fly it that much any more and don't need the extra work.  It is a shame though as I have 12 new jugs on it and no leaks other than cabin seals for pressurization.

So back to the Beech:

Despite burning 40gph and flying around 160 knots I've about decided that this is how I was meant to fly.  This airplane is so freaking fun to fly and having something that large dragging its tail around it just heaven for me.  The round engines are simple to work on and the sound (while big) is so laid back and relaxed compared to the angry growl of the Commander.  Everything about this airplane is perfect for me.  Lots and Lots of room, 2300lb payload with full fuel, 6 hours of flying if I could stand it.  The Cockpit is huge but the space between the spar and the rudder pedals isn't great.  So to stretch out I have to move my leg across to the other side.  The Commander was a lot more confy to fly but there is just something about those two huge radials hanging out there on the wings.

Here is a video I did the other day on the new G5 install.  You get a pretty good perspective of what it is like in the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S21fZT_m740

Don't get me wrong:  I loved flying the Commander but it is a completely different experience.  My main issue with the Commander is that I fly too much to deal with those engines.  The airplane itself is freaking awesome.  But I'm sorry to say I've been Beeched.  The 18 just has everything I've ever wanted in a single plane.  It also stays simple enough that I can fix most anything on the plane without having to take it to a shop.  I love to fly and flying slower just means I fly more :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:23:53 pm »
I thought it was just a matter of time before this happened, Glenn. You gave it your best shot and unfortunately had a little trouble along the way. You more than many, but we've all had our fair share, that's for sure. Sad to see you're thinking of giving her up, but I fully understand the sentiment. My experiences have beaten me pretty hard, too. Next one I get I want to be as close to done as possible.

I remember reaching the same point when I had the old 520. Every new cylinder that cracked or needed fixing turned into a mystery hunt all over the world to try to source those for the GO-435. Or the Goodyear brake pucks they charged an arm and a leg for because they were unobtanium. It gets tiring after a while and I just had had enough of it eventually. This one hasn't had any parts problem, it's just been my never-ending maintenance ordeal dealing with the wrong people.

Sometimes I wish someone would just build an exact carbon fibre replica of the Twin Commander with really simple systems that I could build and then maintain myself. That would be ideal. Maybe I should just build one? ;)
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:47:11 pm »
Glad to hear that the Beech is working out for you!

Bummer about the Commander, but selling it is probably the right thing to do.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 04:53:55 pm »
now that sounds like a kit plane I'd buy into for sure.  I've not had too much trouble finding parts for mine although the hydraulic pumps are getting hard to find now.  I know where there are 2 functioning units on a plane that will most likely never fly again but the guy wants 60k for the damn thing.  My overall problem was the engines themselves which I've discovered is normal routine but not something I can deal with when I fly that routine once a year.

I love the plane though and was seriously thinking about keeping it as a second plane but I want to spend my time keeping my 18 as perfect as possible and I'm sort of one of those total focus sort of dudes.  I don't like having 2 different projects going at the same time as one will get ignored.

I do feel sorry for your situation as I know you were very excited about getting yours going.  You honestly convinced me turbines were not for me though.  I HAVE to have my own hands on my plane as I don't trust shops.  I know there are a few good ones but there are many more bad ones.  I do hope you get yours flying again though and I would like to see if I could make one of your flyins if you guys have another one.

No fear on the forum though as I'm 100% dedicated to keeping it going.

Glenn
--glenn