News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: That time the oil pressure dropped in Nowhere, NM....  (Read 3650 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
That time the oil pressure dropped in Nowhere, NM....
« on: July 06, 2019, 01:47:40 pm »
A story from the old 520 days:

I precautionary landed my old 520 after oil pressure went to zero on a very desolated airfield in New Mexico named Vaughn (N17). Not a living soul could be seen, or any other airplanes. There were literally tumbleweeds blowing across the tarmac. All the hangars were locked and looked like they hadn’t been opened in decades. The nearest town was in effect deserted and had no hotel or any kind of facilities. I wasn’t even sure anyone lived there at all. So never mind trying to get a mechanic there, how on earth would I be able to get out of there and find alternate modes of transportation to get to my destination?

Took a breath, let the engines cool off, checked the levels, kicked the tires and prayed as I started her up again: oil pressure returned on the offending engine. Phew! Before it even had time to change its mind, I gunned the throttles and took off from there. Maybe not the safest thing to do, but I felt I had almost no other choice. Oil pressure held up pretty much all the way ‘til Wichita Falls, Texas, where I finally managed to get it repaired at the airfield. It was an oil pressure relief valve that had gotten some carbon stuck in it, so wasn’t actually anything worse.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
Re: That time the oil pressure dropped in Nowhere, NM....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:40:39 am »
Did you have to add oil?