News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Morris  (Read 4813 times)

JimBob

Morris
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:45 am »
It is with a heavy heart that we report that Morris Kernick passed away yesterday.  His vast knowledge of all things Commander and his friendship will be greatly missed.
Prayers to his son and wife as they deal with this loss.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: Morris
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »
Morris was a pillar in the Commander world...  And his passing will leave a knowledge gap of considerable portion.

RIP

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:15:46 pm »
What was Morris' story? How did he get involved with Commanders in the first place?

I never knew him personally, but sure heard a lot about him! A legend, for sure.

Popeye

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

SAD day for us commander owners. Love him or be mad at him, he was very resourceful. He is in peace now and will be missed.

N630TA
Ricardo Otaola

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:22:34 pm »
Very sorry to hear that. We unfortunately ended on a sour note, but I will always remember him from my early days with the 520 and his immense knowledge. Especially a big loss in knowledge for the older birds. RIP.

Don - Morris started out in drag racing and cars and I think he got into Commanders as a function of having a plane for the team he was working for in the 70's.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:49:20 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:41 pm »
Morris's son Nicholas just reached out and asked me to post this message:

Trying to get the word out that my Father, Morris Kernick, of Commanders Services in Stockton, CA has passed away.
No one knew more about the Twin Commanders as he did and he will be sorely missed in the Commander community.
I will be arranging a Memorial Service next Wednesday or Thursday to give people enough time to come to Oakland or Stockton to pay their respects.
I can be reached at US 1.316.461.4298 (cell) Pacific Time.
If you could post something on the forum letting people know I'd appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Nicholas St Jon

Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 07:24:05 pm »
Adam-- thanks. I always find it interesting to hear how people got started, especially when they've had such a long career that they've become an "institution."

JimBob

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:51:25 pm »
A memorial service for Morris will be held next Thursday, August 15th at 1pm at the Atlantic Aviation hangar in Hayward, CA.

JimBob

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:15:45 pm »
CORRECTION.....the memorial will be at Bud Field Aviation in Hayward.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 03:03:34 pm »
Very sad to hear.  Like most mechanics I don't think he ever really got comfortable on the money front and got into more work than he could perform at 80+ years old by himself.  I don't think he did anything purposely to take advantage of anyone and even I had a few issues with getting things done in a timely manor but always wrote it off to his age and how much work he was trying to do.   I really liked Morris and am going to miss giving him a call from time to time.

I was lucky enough to get a call from him the day before he was going in for his operation so we at least go to speak one last time.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.