News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: TCAS 1 useful after Jan 1?  (Read 5530 times)

dmt

TCAS 1 useful after Jan 1?
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:16:32 am »
I fly a Twin Commander 980, with a Garmin panel (G600txi x2, GTN750/650, GTX 345 and diversity 330) and I have had a functioning Skywatch HP TCAS as well. Recently the TCAS (TCAS1, no advisories, I am not required to have TCAS) died, and I am wondering if I should repair/replace it, or not. Until now the ability to "see" Mode C traffic (non-ADSB) was really useful, but since everyone should have ADSB come January, is it worth the $6-10k to have the unit repaired or go with a Garmin TCAS as a replacement?

If it helps with answers, I fly into Canada, occasionally across the Atlantic to Scotland, in the Caribbean/Central America. I do not know ADSB implementation requirements there....

Any advice appreciated! I just do not see the role for active traffic anymore, but I may be missing something!

David

donv

• Administrator
Re: TCAS 1 useful after Jan 1?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 02:36:18 pm »
Given ADS-B, I wouldn't bother replacing it. I don't have it in my 980.

Very few airplanes in the US are gong to have Mode C and not have ADS-B. Canada is moving toward an ADS-B requirement in 2021 similar to the US, and I imagine the rest of the world will follow suit (if they haven't already).

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:15:26 pm »
My suggestion is that you (if not already) send your 330 into Garmin and have the ES (Extended Squitter) board added to the diversity you already have.

That will give you pretty much world wide coverage and no longer needing the TCAS. NAV Canada and I think 35+ countries are using the satellite system currently.

Honeywell explains it pretty well in this brief.

https://aerospace.honeywell.com/en/news-listing/2019/august/what-is-space-based-ads-b?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RGaU9URTRZVGc0TXpVeSIsInQiOiJkQVlCeUlwQSthK3F2ODRzcUZ0ZFBRUVk4NTZRVHY5M1dEXC80QVZwXC9TREJLV2szdXE3dDAwQkdcL1lkTGdndGczRW16Q1NGaEh4WGZ3aDRoMnZOZ0FJZUdmSmVEZGk0b1RRMmlONDdBNzc2WGNUWStKYUNkWWFGM2JhbUZXbDh1VyJ9

I have had and used the 330ES w/diversity for several years and it works really well.

dmt

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:16:29 am »
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards passing on the TCAS repair/replacement: it certainly had value in the past, but that is diminishing quickly. Certainly anytime below 10,000' in VFR conditions I want to be eyes out anyway, so the odd Cub/Stearman/whatever with no ADS-B (and possibly no Mode C) will still be see and avoid, as it is now.

Thanks for the Honeywell post (my 330 is ES already) but I am not clear how I get traffic advisories from the space-based system, other than relayed verbally from ATC? Of course my aircraft will receive ADS-B emissions from nearby aircraft directly, terrain permitting. Eliminating position reports over the Atlantic would be nice though.....

Appreciate the input!!

David

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:38:33 pm »
Do you have ADS-B in right now?