News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Overspeed gov check  (Read 2838 times)

av8r

Overspeed gov check
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:14 pm »
I noticed in an earlier post that there was a discussion on the OSG check so I thought I would throw this in. There is a rather LARGE spread between the requirements for the OSG check in the POH/AFM’s from Commander and the recommendations from Honeywell. The 840 AFTER START BEFORE TAXI ck list set: “Overspeed Governor - CHECK prior to first flight of day, when in flight engine shutdowns and airstarts are
to be accomplished, or any maintenance or adjustment has been performed. Propeller must be on start locks.”
Where as Honeywellhas differing ideas. This from Honeywell in their TPE 331 Pilot Tips:
THE OVERSPEED GOVERNOR (OSG) CHECK IS ACCOMPLISHED PRIOR TO DISENGAGEMENT OF THE
START LOCKS; UNLESS DIRECTED DIFFERENTLY IN THE AFM/POH, THE OSG CHECK SHOULD BE MADE EVERY 50 FLIGHT HOURS FOR THE Honeywell Electronic Fuel Control AND EVERY 300 FLIGHT HOURS FOR THE WOODWARD AND BENDIX FUEL CONTROL SYSTEMS, PRIOR TO EACH FLIGHT WHEN AIR STARTS ARE TO BE INTENTIONALLY MADE, IF THERE IS ANY INDICATION OF A
MALFUNCTION, OR WHEN ANY MAINTENANCE OR ADJUSTMENTS INVOLVING THE ENGINE CONTROL
SYSTEM HAVE BEEN PERFORMED.

If you need a copy of the TPE 331 PILOT TIPS publication email me at av8r2@cox.net and I will be happy to send you a PDF copy of the latest one I have.

Jerry White
White Aviation Services, Inc

-
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:46:18 pm by av8r »

Bruce Byerly

Re: Overspeed gov check
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 02:48:55 pm »
I agree with Jerry. In fact, he may have taught me that at Flightsafety ;D ;D

But I know for certain it came up at my Honeywell Phoenix 331 course.

So, we’ve been working around this and other items forever as the “checklists” have never been updated unless you make your own.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Overspeed gov check
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 04:42:36 pm »
It is that darn comma between "prior to first flight of the day" and "when in-flight engine shutdowns and air starts are to be accomplished..."

If that weren't there, the instructions would basically be the same. And, honestly, that is how I fly the airplane.