News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY  (Read 4355 times)

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
« on: November 27, 2019, 12:24:54 pm »
Hope everyone has a terrific Thanksgiving and if flying a safe trip.

donv

• Administrator
Re: THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:04:08 pm »
You too! I wish I was flying somewhere, but not to be this year.

Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 08:57:54 am »
Happy Thanksgiving!
Ed

Steve binnette

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 07:44:36 pm »
I flew the commander around to see family this thanksgiving.

Camarillo to Des Moines.
Des Moines to Naples Florida
Naples Florida to Camarillo

The flight going west across the country was long! 9.5hrs.  Still I was able to do it with just one stop.  Big Winds right on the nose for hours.

Love the long legs on the 980, lots of fuel is fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:59:59 pm by Steve binnette »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:17:32 pm »
Nice! I want to get back to Florida and the Bahamas in my airplane, but not this year.

I do have some interesting destinations coming up in January, so hopefully some new entries in the Travel section.

SoCalDan

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:06:56 pm »
Nice! I want to get back to Florida and the Bahamas in my airplane, but not this year.

I do have some interesting destinations coming up in January, so hopefully some new entries in the Travel section.

Must be nice being senior! I ended up with a line for November, but I had to waive everything and it showed with what I got. 15 days on the road with a few hours off thanksgiving night before I headed back out for two back to back three days.

It's an awesome problem to have! Glad your travels were safe.
"The way I see it you can either work for a living or fly. Me? I'd rather fly." -Len Morgan

Steve binnette

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 01:35:23 am »
It is good to be working.  That is always first.  Getting days off on the holidays that just comes with time

I had the plane in Naples jet center before I left for California.  When I arrived in Florida my right egt was jumping around.

They looked at it but could not diagnose.  On the flight back home my AP did not work.  I hand flew 9.5 hrs! Been a long time since I have done that.

Once I landed and took a day or two and went out to the hangar to try and figure out the the AP problem.

It ended up being the red disconnect switch on the copilots yoke.  During MX it must have been moved, just cycling it off to on and my AP was back working!

You just never know?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:11:30 am by Steve binnette »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 12:53:20 pm »
One of my EGTs jumps around occasionally. I'm figuring it's somewhere in the wiring harness or a cannon plug, but I'm waiting until it does it more consistently.

SoCalDan

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »
It's a good day when an expensive avionics repair can be avoided with a simple switch replacement.

As for the 9.5 hours of hand flying, there's a certain zen to that. One of these days I'm going to hand fly the 757 from the mainland to the islands. Gotta have the right FO for that one.
"The way I see it you can either work for a living or fly. Me? I'd rather fly." -Len Morgan

Badger

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 02:34:18 pm »
Steve,

I learned a fairly expensive avionics lesson a few months ago:  My autopilot was not connecting...and when it would, it would just disconnect with no notice.  After considerable work by the avionics shop, including sending mine back to the manufacturer, they found nothing wrong.  Eventually, the shop discovered it was a broken (or shorted) wire in the yoke, connecting the disconnect switch to the A/P brain unit.  It took maybe 30 minutes to fix after that was determined.  Been working great since then....

A similar thing happened to me a couple years ago when I was on the way to Sun n Fun:  ADI froze up and would not work.  After a week's trouble-shooting, and some new parts, they (a different shop) discovered  just a broken wire behind the instrument panel. 

Oh well...

Ed
Ed

Steve binnette

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 07:28:08 pm »
Avionics can be maddening to trouble shoot.

Taking the plane to a large shop helps.  They can pull out the part and try a spare one to see if that cure the problem.

Even still it can be hit or miss!