News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wet Wing Leaks  (Read 2201 times)

donv

• Administrator
Wet Wing Leaks
« on: March 14, 2021, 12:36:27 pm »
So my airplane has started to leak a little bit from the wet wings. Mostly on the left, but possibly a little bit on the right as well.

While it's down for hot sections, they are going to open up and reseal the tanks. I've been told that prep is critical, as is having the tanks fully dried before attempting any resealing. Any other tips I should know about?

Bruce Byerly

Re: Wet Wing Leaks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:20:59 pm »
Where is the plane going to be “down?”

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:26:36 pm »
Aero Air.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 12:51:06 am »
It’s extremely tedious and expensive work to do it right. Most of the planes have layer upon layer of sealant and the original sealant underneath is worn out at this age.  Many have  hired the “seal team” and they just make a mess out of the inside of the wing making the job even tougher. They leak on the gear door or inboard but the real leak is really hidden 3 feet outboard. It’s not easy. There’s no “drying it out” since finding and fixing the leaks often take multiple fuel and defuel cycles. Clean out the whole bay or two, dig out the sealant, clean it some more and start fresh.  I hope you have an easy time.  Aero should be very capable.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 12:44:18 pm »
Thanks, Bruce. Hopefully they get it! I've heard horror stories about even capable shops-- although I heard great things about your Naples Jet Center. Sorry, but Florida is just too far for me to go!