News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rajay Turbo Shrike 500S  (Read 3700 times)

PaulF

Rajay Turbo Shrike 500S
« on: February 06, 2020, 01:33:14 pm »
Hi to everyone. My first post and need some advise please. I am looking for performance specs on the 500S fitted with the dual Rajay turbos. Apparently the factory fitted these turbos when the aircraft was manufactured - not an aftermarket fitting. Any advice on performance would be appreciated. If anyone has the STC performance figures or POH supplement to the initial POH which only lists the IO540 performance I would be really grateful. Any figures on running LOP would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Paul Ferraris

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Rajay Turbo Shrike 500S
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 11:41:40 am »
Sorry, don't have those, but hoping someone else might chime in.

I do know that some of the Rajay's had manual wastegates, so you could control the pressure, which can be helpful up high, but also a little unnerving, as they might over-pressurize and overtemp.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

PaulF

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:47:34 am »
Thanks Adam. These are manual wastegates which I prefer - no issues with auto wastegates sticking! Better for lean of peak operations.

I know this is a Twin Commander forum but would there be any interest in an article I wrote for a local aviation magazine (South Africa) on running lean of peak. Article was done referencing a Seneca V which I had at that time. If any interest I could post it.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »
That sort of stuff is always of interest.

We had some big discussions about that a while back, but the focus was on the big geared engines on the 680F and 680Fp, and I'm not so convinced that lean of peak is a good idea on those engines. But it's all theoretical for me! I run my Citabria by leaning it until the RPM drops 50 RPM or so and pushing the mixture back in until it comes back to smooth.

PaulF

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 03:14:37 pm »
Attached find the article on Lean of Peak operation. I wrote it as I got fed up with the editor of the magazine stating that LOP operations would destroy engines. I asked to edit the final document but was never given that chance. Please excuse the  references to "LOP Guru". I never wrote that and have apologised to John Deakin. He just laughed!

Paul