News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Book  (Read 8043 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Book
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 03:31:17 pm »
Is the author a member here? Or could someone ask him to join?

Ray787

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 05:20:44 pm »
I received my signed copy of the book today.  WOW !!! It's even better than what I thought.

Mr. Duntz, I want to thank you for all the hard work that you put into the book.

p.s. plus I saw a couple pictures of my 500B in it. :)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 08:04:13 pm »
Is the author a member here? Or could someone ask him to join?

Dave Duntz is a member, but has never logged in. I think he reads it though.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 02:33:18 pm »
If you know his username, you should send him a message.

dduntz

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:53 pm »
Thankyou for all the favorable comments. Regarding the price, it was driven by two things:
1. It is the length of 2 books. The average coffee table book is less than 300 pages. This is 624 pages. I looked into making it 2 separate volumes with a slip case but that increased the price even more and takes away from the coffee table concept. But the purchaser is getting the equivalent of two books.
2. The book was written for a small number of people. People with interest in Twin Commanders and Aerostars. So only 1020 copies were printed (I ordered 1000 but a printer normally goes over, and charges for the overage too.) This is such a low number that no publisher would take the book. So I became my own publisher. (I don't recommend it, but when you are new at the game you learn by doing).  A low run for a printer is typically 5,000 or 10,000. The cost per book for an ultra small run is much higher. I also wanted to use an American printer which costs slightly more, and I wanted a premium cover material.  The fixed costs for the book had to be divided by the low number of books printed. Graphics were very expensive and required over 6 months of teamwork to get photo sizes, captions, positioning etc right.
The entire effort to do the research, write the manuscript, have it proofed, search for a cover artist, printer, and graphic artist, and then do layout took from 2007 to 2019.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 09:41:32 pm »
It is an amazing book! I've flown all three of the airplanes on the cover-- 500, Aerostar, and Jet Commander, so I'm glad I got a copy.

I've only spent some time looking at it-- do you have much on Jerrie Cobb? Her career with Commander seems pretty darn remarkable, under the circumstances.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:34 pm »
I got mine signed as well and wow, awesome book.  Very glad I spent the money on it.  Very detailed and the pictures are awesome.  I’ve been reading it every night before going to bed. :-) Should be done by 2030. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Badger

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 10:22:40 am »
It is an awesome book.  I love it.  Gave one to a good friend, as well.  What a legacy!

Ed
Ed