News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Half Moon Bay, CA  (Read 7441 times)

donv

• Administrator
Half Moon Bay, CA
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:14:10 pm »
This is a fun place to go. It's just on the other side of the peninsula from San Francisco, and yet it feels like it's in a different world.

It's a really nice little airport. There is no jet fuel, and no FBO to speak of (there is a nice little airport restaurant, but that's about it). As I recall, there is a parking area on the other side of the field where you can walk through a gate and into a little shopping area, but in recent years I've always parked over by the restaurant.

There is a wonderful Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay, and if you have a chance, it's definitely worth spending a night. If you are more budget minded, there is the Half Moon Bay Lodge, which is quite nice and is on the corner of the road leading into the Ritz Carlton. You can walk to the Ritz from there, and enjoy the views.

Going in to Half Moon Bay is pretty straightforward. There is a decent GPS approach, but in the morning and late afternoon, fog can be an issue. When departing, watch out for the San Francisco Class B-- you need to fly out over the ocean for a bit to stay clear of it.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: Half Moon Bay, CA
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:11:03 pm »
It is a very neat place to be sure and the food and views are totally awesome... here is a brief info   http://www.flyincalifornia.com/flyin/KHAF.php

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:51:31 pm »
I was there a few weeks ago... Ritz Carlton is really nice, and it was an easy in and out. I did need to do the GPS approach due to visibility, but it wasn't a big deal.

Jeff Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:25:51 pm »
Thats a nice hotel for sure!

I flew into San Carlos VFR and had to fly way out over the water to avoid SFO. 

Super funny to hear on the radio SFO traffic be aware of commander 500s immediately after takeoff.

then to have to climb over Half moon bay, then descend into san carlos was an experience to be had.

Ive flown out of SMO a couple of times...  And San Carlos is extreme in comparison.

Rooftop flying for sure VFR.

Love it!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:57 pm »
Half Moon Bay is pretty easy, in comparison. The floor of the Class B is, I think, 1700 right over the airport, and it almost immediately goes to 2100, and up from there. You climb northwest over the water for a bit, and then can turn due north without issue.

You just have to keep an eye on the SFO DME...

JMA

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:51:06 am »
Don- one of the best Ritz's I have been to...
They were setting up a wedding when we were there...

Golf course is amazing too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:58:00 am by JMA »