News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: N74EF  (Read 4363 times)

Jeff Axel

N74EF
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »
Noticed this plane for sale, relatively local to me. Anyone know anything about it I should know? I am guessing it has been worked on at Aero Air at KHIO, but don't really know. Probably exceeds my checkbook, but it would check a lot of boxes for some of the trips I fly. Any thoughts you care to pass on would be appreciated.....

Jeff Axel

pcodum

Re: N74EF
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:01:39 am »
Who has it for sale? I am looking also.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 07:47:27 am »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:28:01 pm »
It was operated by Executive Flight out of Wenatchee for many, many years. They used it for air ambulance out of Seattle, I think. I'm a little unclear what has happened to Executive Flight, but they seem to be out of business now?

Aero Air did at least one hot section on it fairly recently, and has definitely done some work. Richard or Dan could tell you a little bit about it. However, I don't know that they did the regular maintenance.

I always thought it looked like a great deal and a solid airplane. If you want someone to look at it with you, let me know... I don't know that my opinion is worth much, but it's always fun to look.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:35:04 pm »
I actually think it would be a great airplane for you. They've been trying to sell it for a long time, basically since Executive Flight went out of business. Executive Flight bought it in 1993, according to my records so that's a long ownership. And I think Executive Flight generally did things right.

What is really important, in my opinion (others may differ) is that this airplane has zero sketchy latin american history. That's getting hard to find in Commanders. And it's an 840, which means it will have fewer ADs and issues than a 690A or B, so that's something. Finally, you have an excellent service center at your home base, and there are a fair number of pilots around who could help you figure it out when you start with it.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 08:28:01 pm »
Had my eye on that for months and thought it was pretty aggressively priced. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, but maybe people are more afraid of the -5's than I anticipated.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Steve binnette

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 12:01:22 pm »
Maybe it is the one engine with only a 1000hrs left.

What’s a used -5 cost these days?  If it is reasonable you could fly that engine out then install a mid time engine to match the other side and bring Some of the lost value back into the the airplane.

Looks like a nice plane.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:38:30 pm »
Any updates, Jeff? You might also considering putting a bid in on the State of Nevada's 840 mentioned in the other thread.