News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Engine life extension program  (Read 6145 times)

EricDapp

Engine life extension program
« on: August 15, 2020, 10:49:57 pm »
I’d like to hear more about this program. It seams like there are more planes for sale that are closer to TBO and by the time you overhaul engines it it doesn’t pencil out.

Talking turbo prop only. 

donv

• Administrator
Re: Engine life extension program
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 12:37:54 pm »
From what I am hearing, it basically requires an overhaul and then you get the 7000 TBO / 3500 Hot Section (dash 10 only). I don't know if it makes the overhaul more expensive than it otherwise would be, or if anyone who gets a dash 10 overhauled these days comes out with a 7000 hour engine, and I can't seem to get a straight answer so far.

However, the ones to ask are one of the big overhaul shops. If I find out, I will post the answer here.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:04:42 pm »
Again, start with the basics in highly simplified terms: A hot/gbi is required to be completed on time but Overhauls are not required part 91.

Complying with Honeywell’s 7000 hour TBO certainly does not require an overhaul. Though it might cost like one if your engine is needy. And it doesn’t technically apply to non-commercial low utilization operators. So then you go back to the above. It’s like a big circle. Engine shops prefer overhauls, I guarantee that.

But if you’d like assistance in managing your next event, including rental engines, or even a Woodward FCU conversion, give me a call.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:12:13 am »
So the thing about "non-commercial low use operators" is interesting. For me, as a 75-100 hour/year operator, I will obviously never truly need a 7000 hour engine. The reason I would want it is purely for resale. If I overhauled my engine and it was presented as a 5000 hour engine, but met the requirements so a commercial operator could get it approved, that would probably be just as good.

KillerBee

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 09:47:14 pm »
So the thing about "non-commercial low use operators" is interesting. For me, as a 75-100 hour/year operator, I will obviously never truly need a 7000 hour engine. The reason I would want it is purely for resale. If I overhauled my engine and it was presented as a 5000 hour engine, but met the requirements so a commercial operator could get it approved, that would probably be just as good.
How easy is it to get -10T engine rentals?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 12:00:44 am »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:03:26 am by donv »

Andrew Wilson @ Twin Commander

• Technical Service Manager @ Twin Commander A&P-IA
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 01:20:08 pm »
I am also working something now in regards to this for Twin Commander. Hopefully in the next year you will see a MX program that does this at a cheap cost unlike the Renaissance failure.

If you have any info on extending engine life I'd love to have it to read.

Awilson@twincommader.com is my email.

Andy
Andrew Wilson

Technical Service Manager

Twin Commander Aircraft

Work Cell: 919-514-0040

Email: AWILSON@TWINCOMMANDER.COM

1176 Telecom Drive

Creedmoor, NC 27522

www.twincommander.com

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 02:12:24 pm »
Andy--

Welcome! I am so glad you are here. Any progress in this area would be of interest to me, as I am looking at hot sections, or potentially overhauls, in the not too distant future.

Again, welcome!

I am also working something now in regards to this for Twin Commander. Hopefully in the next year you will see a MX program that does this at a cheap cost unlike the Renaissance failure.

If you have any info on extending engine life I'd love to have it to read.

Awilson@twincommader.com is my email.

Andy

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 08:57:20 am »
We are getting close, I will be sure to post when it's ready. In the meantime I am doing all my research to come up with the best. Hopefully will get some great input when the travel restrictions lift and I can visit the service centers.
Andrew Wilson

Twin Commander Aircraft

1176 Telecom Drive

Creedmoor, NC 27522

www.twincommander.com

Steve binnette

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 12:23:25 pm »
Good stuff Andrew,  looking forward to your Input.
Let me know if I can help. 

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 04:09:24 pm »
Steve,

Would love to get input as we develop this. Feel free to reach out, I'd love input and most all need some help in finding all the engine life extension information.
Andrew Wilson

Twin Commander Aircraft

1176 Telecom Drive

Creedmoor, NC 27522

www.twincommander.com

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 07:06:59 pm »
Steve,

Would love to get input as we develop this. Feel free to reach out, I'd love input and most all need some help in finding all the engine life extension information.

I assume you have the letter related to the 7000/3500 hour program? I haven't seen a copy myself.