News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New 980 Owner N25TN  (Read 6590 times)

Chuck West

New 980 Owner N25TN
« on: September 23, 2020, 10:34:32 am »
Recently completed purchase of 980 Commander N25TN. We are long time commander guys. We have had four other piston commanders and one straight 690 over the last 50 years.

Looking back our 980 has been discussed on this forum several times. Mostly due to the missing small windows at the middle seats. We are not sure why these were removed, unless a previous owner had been spooked by ice off the props hitting the window. It was also discussed for the paint scheme choice of the previous owner, glad to say that has been taken care of. 

First off I have an operational question and a maintenance question for the experts in the group.

1.   Windshield heat – In the POH the windshield heat is noted to be used above FL180. Is this common practice or should it be used more often? Coming from a Merlin where we were instructed to use windshield heat in it anytime we moved the plane.

2.   Air Cycle Machine Oil fill. We have the sunstrand Air Cycle machine and it is about 2 years old and has about 40hrs on it from a Kool Air overhaul. Our machine appears to be sealed. I do not see any remote oil fill port or even any sight glass. Is this common or should I be looking to modify? 

I have several projects that I am planning on. 1st I am going to change the registration number in the next few weeks to N980CW. May also consider reinstalling those two windows in the cabin.

I also have a 500A N6266X that I will probably be putting on the market in the next few months.

Thanks
Chuck West

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: New 980 Owner N25TN
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 01:01:42 pm »
Welcome Chuck..

You will most likely never have to worry about any "critters" in your plane considering where it came from.

The previous operator was a corporate officer of the company and has considerable info about your aircraft. You might want to touch base with him as he might have the info you are seeking as well as all the documents during their time of operating it. Just a thought.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:55:01 pm »
Welcome! Your airplane certainly did have a distinctive scheme!

I read somewhere that the window removal was done for the FBI, when they owned the airplane.

In regard to the windshield heat, I remember that as well from my long-ago Merlin days. In Commanders, the issue is that they tend to fog up in cold temperatures, so turning the heats to LOW at FL180 is an easy solution. There is a small amount of visual distortion with the heat on, which is why it's preferable not to run it when you are VFR.

In regard to the Sundstrand, personally I really like it. It generates air immediately and in high volume (so fewer pressurization issues than Enviro). If you are in a hot climate, a freon system makes a nice addition-- I think freon and Sundstrand is the best combination.

There is a thread in this forum on care for the Sundstrand, so I would take a look. I think it's in the "Environmental" section.

Short answer is:

1) Never, ever, ever, ever turn Max Flow on. Let me repeat that: Never, ever, under any circumstances, turn Max Flow on.

2) The AFM recommends adding oil every 25 hours. Unfortunately, there is no way to check the oil-- the only thing you can do is put more oil in until it spills (literally described in the AFM as "fill to spill").

3) There are some filters that need to be changed every 300 hours. They are absurdly expensive. Change them regularly.

I'm attaching the AFM page which shows the different units and how to add oil. Unfortunately, it's not really a pilot-accessible task-- it requires opening up the baggage compartment.

Please ask away with any other questions that come up!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »
Great looking panel, by the way!

I see that your airplane does have Freon air conditioning, which makes the perfect combination with the Sundstrand.

One tip-- turn the "Auto" temp controller off before turning off the generators. That will extend the life of the auto temp system-- it is susceptible to voltage spikes, otherwise.

Chuck West

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39:16 am »
Thank you Don for the great information.

I'm sure more questions will come up as we get to flying it.

Steve binnette

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:53:03 am »
You are going to love it!  I would like to hear how you like your stec AP after you have a little time with it.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 12:43:29 am »
Chuck,

As I’ve mentioned to you;

You cannot predict when the Sunstrand will fail other than it will fail. It’s been this way since new. Nothing new.

Your plane has an interesting history of maintenance. I flew it with Scott Nolen and saw things I’ve never seen before in a 980.  I suggest getting the plane to a service center ASAP before you do any damage to yourself or the plane. 

Bruce

JMA

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 03:43:40 pm »
Welcome Chuck.  Fellow 980 owner based at PHL (N515AM- owned since new, and x2 690's prior to that).  If you find yourself in our vicinity anytime let me know.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:51:55 pm by JMA »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 12:36:48 am »
I will also be interested to hear what you think about the autopilot. I am getting the S-Tec 3100 installed right now, and it will go below the 750, right where yours is. S-Tec says the 3100 will be able to be controlled from the G-600 (altitude, IAS, and vertical speed bugs), so I'm hopeful that I won't have to mess with the control head much, other than turning it on and off.

I see that you also have the autopilot/yaw damper/trim disconnect button on the yoke. I'm getting that as well-- it replaces the little on/off switch for autopilot and trim which was there. I'm pretty used to the on/off switch, but having lots of experience in Learjets, the button should be fine as well.

Chuck West

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 01:29:43 pm »
Don, what autopilot are you coming from? We have an S-Tec 65 in our 500 commander and the 2100 is much improved over that model, mainly just for ease of use.

So far I really do like the S-Tec 2100, no complaints. It sure would great to get those controls from the G600 to drive the autopilot but not sure that it would be worth the cost to upgrade. 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 02:24:45 pm »
I had an AP-106 in my 980. The original autopilot from the factory. I'm getting the 3100... I don't know if it's possible to drive the 2100 from the G600 or not. S-Tec absolutely says it is for the 3100.

kent4142

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 06:49:19 pm »
Hi All,

What is a realistic budget for the 3100?  In an 840.

K

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 07:05:33 pm »
I probably shouldn't speculate, because it depends on what your airplane has to start with (although the 3100 is less sensitive to that than the 2100), but I'm going to say around $65-70k.

Chuck West

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 11:10:13 pm »
I did get a quote yesterday for $18,000 to go from the S-Tec 2100 to the 3100.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 12:29:31 am »
That sounds about right. The servos are all the same, so all you really need to do is slide in the newer box. I assume there is some setup as well, but it should be pretty minor in the scheme of things.

I did get a quote yesterday for $18,000 to go from the S-Tec 2100 to the 3100.