News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Electronic Backup Gyro  (Read 5347 times)

donv

• Administrator
Electronic Backup Gyro
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:28:53 pm »
So, since I've been sitting around waiting for my airplane to come back, I've started to think about whether I should replace the air-driven attitude indicator which sits under the G600 with an electronic one, which would be more usable in the even of an actual failure.

The obvious choice looks like the Garmin G5, although maybe the new GI-275?

GI-275:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027

G5:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570665/pn/K10-00280-00

I'm also considering putting one of these, or the UAvionix AV-30 in my Citabria.

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

Any thoughts or suggestions?

donv

• Administrator
Re: Electronic Backup Gyro
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 12:43:15 am »
To those of you who have some sort of EFIS backup, where is it's power source?

And, more importantly, how do you turn it off or otherwise let it know not to run on battery backup power when you turn the airplane power off at the end of a trip?

Steve binnette

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:49:06 pm »
I have the mid continent sam unit.  It has an internal replaceable battery that is supposed to provide up to one hour of use.

It turns on and off automatically although when you shut down you have the option of selecting it off or just waiting 30secs and it turns itself off.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 03:29:07 pm »
I have the L3 unit. Supposed to run for 30min as well.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 03:44:23 pm »
Thanks.

I am going to add a separate switch for mine, so that it doesn't come on (and need to be manually shut off) every time I turn the batteries on to see how much fuel I have, or update the GPSs. That way, when I am actually returning from a trip, I will have to turn it off separately but otherwise it won't be an issue.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 01:59:53 pm »
So if you have a power failure in flight, you have to do something to keep it running after 30 seconds?

It turns on and off automatically although when you shut down you have the option of selecting it off or just waiting 30secs and it turns itself off.

Mark S

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 10:41:27 pm »
The air backup gyro, when centered below the G600 is nearly unusable in real life.
Never thought it would really matter.
I recently had an AHRS unit go bad. Lost all attitude on the big screen. Due to the parallax or placement I couldn’t really use it. I’m looking at moving it right, go digital G275
which will require shifting some other 3 inch instruments and losing an old RMI.
Another thought is to upgrade to the TXi version, recut a new panel , and move the backup to a better spot.
 My g600 is standard install on a flat panel. It’s nice but.. . .
I would like to incorporate the “Tilt-a-View” trademarked slanted panel that Byerly does. That N3NT has a nice setup.
All it takes is time and money!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 07:11:51 pm »
The air backup gyro, when centered below the G600 is nearly unusable in real life.
Never thought it would really matter.
I recently had an AHRS unit go bad. Lost all attitude on the big screen. Due to the parallax or placement I couldn’t really use it. I’m looking at moving it right, go digital G275
which will require shifting some other 3 inch instruments and losing an old RMI.
Another thought is to upgrade to the TXi version, recut a new panel , and move the backup to a better spot.
 My g600 is standard install on a flat panel. It’s nice but.. . .
I would like to incorporate the “Tilt-a-View” trademarked slanted panel that Byerly does. That N3NT has a nice setup.
All it takes is time and money!

Board member Steve Binnette has the tilted Garmin in his 980 and it's a really sweet setup.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 07:51:51 pm »
My G600 is tilted as well. I flew a 1000 for a while with the G600 mounted flat, which is why I have it tilt-mounted in my 980.

I have to agree that the instruments below the G600 are useless. I haven't had to use them for real, but did some training a few years back and covered the G600 for some approaches. It was much easier to just fly using the copilot instruments.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 01:21:30 pm »
One nice thing about the G5 (or GI-275, I'm sure) is that it incorporates airspeed and altitude right on it, resulting in a big saving of panel space. I'm really looking forward to getting my airplane back!

Mark S

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 11:24:51 pm »
Don,
Did you get your plane back yet?
 I’d like to hear how the 3100 autopilot upgrade is working for you.
In the event I decide to refresh my panel, I would probably go full tilt and do the 3100 A/P.
The KFC300 is great when it works, which is most of the time, but . . . . .

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 03:11:23 pm »
I like the 3100. It operates in a different manner than the old school autopilots that I am used to, which is okay, it just requires changing your procedures slightly.

The key things to know about the 3100 are:

1) It is always in altitude preselect mode, if there is an altitude dialed into the G600 or the 3100's control head. Yes, there are some times, particularly when you have altitude hold engaged, when it is not, but other than that, if there is an altitude set it wants to capture it. The nice thing about this is it's hard to inadvertently disable altitude select, which is a common problem on Collins autopilots.

2) Most older autopilots I have used will sync to whatever pitch or vertical speed you are at when you engage the autopilot. The 3100 will not do that, it will try to pitch to whatever it is already set for. This may be a limitation of it's interface with the G600, not sure about that. So if you engage it and hit VS, it will immediately pitch to whatever is bugged on the vertical speed. This means that before you hit VS, you better know what is bugged on the vertical speed and that it is what you want.

Other than that, it's very straightforward, and flies the airplane very well. I don't have any experience with the KFC-300 in Commanders, but I would say it flies better than the Collins AP-106. And I am sure it will be much more maintainable going into the future.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 06:24:36 pm »
I love the G5 as a backup attitude indicator. The presentation is just perfect, with airspeed and altitude tapes and everything. Very easy to use.

I'm less in love with the G5 as the copilot HSI-- it could really use a second knob, which would make it much more user friendly. However, it is a big improvement over the mechanical HSI I used to have.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 07:52:17 pm »
Finally back and all good!

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 07:07:42 am »
That looks really nice not to mention functional.