News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dispatch  (Read 2164 times)

Meyfly

Dispatch
« on: March 21, 2021, 01:34:23 pm »
Hi, I'm new to the forum.  I'm not a Twin Commander owner - yet!  I'm seriously considering buying a 500 series sometime this year.  My only concern is there's nobody in my area that owns one (Key West, FL), so I'm having a tough time getting real world info.  I've read everything I can get my hands on - but all academic at this point. 

For those owners that would be kind enough to weigh in:

How is your dispatch rate - even better if you've owned other twins, how does it compare to say a similar vintage and condition Seneca, Baron etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated1

Nate

phil bamberger

Re: Dispatch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 02:37:44 pm »
Your in luck   Roberts air service, services them reasonably, they might even know where you can find one. They are at x51 305 246 0179 I am glad to see some interest in the piston commanders, Pistons are why Twin Bonanzas are so popular and they are not as good or as fast as Commanders A good set of flight controls for a Twin Bonanza cost about as much as an entire Commander I have owned both so I know from experience. Repairing Any turbine is out of most peoples reach. The trick is finding a good shop to repair any aircraft

Phil

phil bamberger

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:11:00 pm »
I think all aircraft have good dispatch if maintained properly. Commanders and Aztecs seem to do the best in salty air. Do your homework and get a good Pre buy inspection and watch out for Prop AD's

Meyfly

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:18:10 am »
Thanks, Phil!  Somewhere in my due diligence, I was going to post asking a good shop in South Fl, so I was excited to hear about Roberts at X51.  I'll check in with them.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »
You also have Naples Jet Center, a Twin Commander service center, pretty close to you. I believe they do a fair amount of piston Commander work.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »
Can't go wrong with a 500B. In that iteration they got it right. Never owned a 500B myself, but that seems to be the consensus from all the owners I've encountered. I had a much older 520 and over the 350hrs I put on her, she only let me down twice where I had to leave her behind. Once was a partial engine failure and a top overhaul. The other was a stuck piece of carbon in Oil Pressure relief valve that had to be cleaned out. Pretty good for a 65 year old plane at the time.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:50:40 pm »
I concur, Adam.  I have about 2000 hours in my 500B.  Very reliable...

Ed
Ed