News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Commander guy- KMYF San Diego  (Read 3042 times)

Mark S

New Commander guy- KMYF San Diego
« on: April 17, 2021, 12:20:47 am »

Hello,
I thought I would post an introduction before I jump in with both feet. .
I acquired a 690B-10 Commander last fall and have enjoyed the last 6 months learning the ropes.
It's a 6700 hour G600 equipped, mid 400's serial number model with 800 hrs on the dash 10 conversion.

During the research and pre-buy phase, I had a chance to meet with Steve B. (and the dog) at Camarillo, and got a chance to chat/email Adam F, and a few other folks prior to deciding to make the move to purchase the 690B over some other more expensive choices.

No regrets so far, and not much maintenance needed (yet) which has been a nice surprise.
Life is good at 310 KTAS!

Happy Flying,
Mark

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: New Commander guy- KMYF San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:17:19 am »
WELCOME MARK...

Great to have you here.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 02:21:03 pm »
Welcome, Mark! Please ask any questions you might have... and if you go to some cool destinations, more stories and ideas in the travels section is always welcome!

kent4142

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 03:10:30 pm »
Welcome Mark.

Sounds like you don't need much help, you certainly have chosen well.  I learned to fly at KCRQ.  I miss San Diego County, but I don't miss all the congestion.

Where are you flying mostly with you Commander?

Kent

Mark S

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 07:18:29 pm »
Hey Kent
CRQ has changed quite a bit over the years. It's gotten busy, with lots of jet traffic.
MYF is still small enough to be friendly.  Stan P and his 681 is based here, as well as the "peace pilot" Mr. Delaurentis.  I was fortunate to find a hanger when the new leaseholder took over.

My consulting business takes me mostly up and down the west coast and western states.
I opened an office in Kamiah, ID so I my main trip is back and forth to northern Idaho.  Lots of cool places to land, including a 3,000 ft grass strip in town, but I'm more comfortable with a towered airport, fuel, approaches, and services in KLWS Lewiston.

This is my first turbine, so plenty to learn.

kent4142

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 06:14:34 pm »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing.  Our family moved to California in 1958.  At that time there was no CRQ.  The old airport was under Interstate 5 east of the Del Mar fair grounds.  Our family was some of the first tenants at Palomar.  I remember when the old tower building was the first building on the Airport.

I tell people the Commander is the best airplane God ever made!!!  I have many hours in piston singles and twins - but the Commander is my first turbine.  I cannot get over the safety, speed and efficiency of the Commanders.

There is a new book out called Stars and Commanders.  It is about Ted Smith, the Commanders and Aerostars.  I highly recommend the book.

I am some what of a "sissy" Commander pilot.  I like long runways, good fuel, and approaches.  I might grow up some day.

K

Mark S

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:58 pm »
Kent,
Yes, Stars & Commanders
During my travels learning about the commander, I met Dave Duntz,the author.
I was doing some training in Dayton with the Commander Academy. Thanks to Bill I was able to make contact.  He came out to the FBO and hand deliver the book to me.
We chatted for quite a while, then he signed my copy. That Dayton trip was fun.
I got to see Bob Steele’s 681 on that trip as well as several other Stars & Commanders!