News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: cabin shades?  (Read 3197 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
cabin shades?
« on: June 24, 2021, 03:39:14 pm »
Who makes those foldable cabin shade thingys? I thought I had a set, but turning the hangar upside and down I can't find them now.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
Re: cabin shades?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 04:13:02 pm »
I never had those in the Commander. I don't think I have any shades at all.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 10:41:38 am »
try Kennon

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 02:33:36 pm »
I misunderstood what you are talking about. My airplane came with the windshield covers-- I'm pretty sure they are from Bruce's Custom Covers.

https://www.aircraftcovers.com/AC690

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 04:08:47 pm »
Yes, I was unclear. Meant the heat shields you use inside cockpit on the inside of windscreen etc.

Thanks!

Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Mark S

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 11:14:35 pm »
Yes, I was unclear. Meant the heat shields you use inside cockpit on the inside of windscreen etc.

Thanks!

_
I ordered mine from Bruce’s Covers and they arrived after about 4 weeks. A little pricey but when you think about the labor to sew the edges with cloth trim and sew in a seam at the fold line, it’s not too bad. The set is complete for all the windows. The side windows fit well, with suction cups for good measure.They include a cloth storage bag.
The previous owner left me an old set for the front windscreen only, but they were dirty and beat up. Comparing the new to the old, the new ones are thinner, lighter, but have a hard break at the fold line so they are easier the manage and get stowed in the bag.  ( Sorry the pics didn't work)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 05:52:57 pm by Mark S »

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 08:07:51 am »
Seems I recall some old data about using "inside" reflective screens in aircraft with "plastic" windshields. Not a good idea as the heat is reflected back into the plastic and if high enough can affect the windshield. So the advise was only use an "outer" windshield cover.

Mark S

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 06:13:14 pm »
Seems I recall some old data about using "inside" reflective screens in aircraft with "plastic" windshields. Not a good idea as the heat is reflected back into the plastic and if high enough can affect the windshield. So the advise was only use an "outer" windshield cover.
Probably so. . .  I sincerely doubt Twin Commander has any data.  When I was looking at TBM's, this was discussed on their forum.  TBM has specific instructions against both inside and outside shade covers. Of course TBM management and the dealer network is notoriously cautious and picky, but I am sure there is some science behind the recommendations against inside windshield covers.
Right now, the citation 4, Lear 60 and Meridian on our ramp have inside covers up--whatever the science says it is usually ignored.  I'm fine with risking the side windows. I can't believe those side windows are subject to direct heat in a way to cause reflective damage.

Thankfully I kept a pair of my older beat up windscreen covers and they have now been duct-taped into a single piece and I secure it under the wipers on the outside when I must park outside for an extended time.  On my airframe, the glass is average to below average anyway. I don't like the HOT and I am willing to risk it.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 09:14:00 pm »
I have been using the "inside" covers for 10 years now, with no issues. I'm skeptical that the windshield would get any hotter with those covers in place than it would with the black glareshield absorbing heat, but I'd be interested in what others have experienced.

We used to have a 690 that used an external cover-- more for water leaks than anything else. My understanding is that the issue with the external covers is that it can leave scratches on the windshield, although I'm a bit less worried about that with the glass windshields on the Commander. I would be concerned about it on a Citation, though.

Steve binnette

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 11:05:43 pm »
I have the Bruce covers.  I ordered them without the suction cups, they stay in place by the snugness of the fit. 

I had an issue on my 421 where the suction cups melted to my plastic window cover.  I could never get it off it was a melted blob that was stuck there.  This happened in Arizona in the summer.

The covers come with a recommendation to have the white side against the glass if the OAT is above 100F I believe that’s the number.  I now only use the reflective side on cooler days and the white side in the really hot spots.  So far so good.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 01:45:58 am »
Interesting... I think mine are the same on both sides. I do have the suction cups, although I would prefer to have them fit the way yours do. I don't need the suction cups at all on the windshield or eyebrow windows, just the side windows.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 08:34:47 am »
I do not think the inside reflective shades are a problem with the Commanders that have glass windshields. It is the earlier Commanders like Adam's that have plastic windshields that was the issue. And side windows have never been an issue that I know of.