News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Jeppesen  (Read 1768 times)

donv

• Administrator
Jeppesen
« on: July 01, 2021, 02:07:43 pm »
I've used Jeppesen charts for most of my flying life, back to the 1980s. Off and on, I have used NACO charts, usually because someone I was flying with preferred them, so I'm not completely unfamiliar, but I always thought Jeppesen was worth the money.

I'm starting to waver, though... apparently JeppFD, which is what I use to view approach plates on my iPad, is going away. The good news is that Garmin Pilot can do Jepp charts... the bad news is that you have to upgrade the Garmin Pilot subscription to "premium" which basically gets you SafeTaxi (which I already have on the G600 and GTNs), and Jeppesen charts... That is in addition to the subscription, etc. Garmin will give me the NACO charts for free.

I'll probably stick with Jepps for another year, and then rethink it.

Oh, and yes, I know about ForeFlight, but for me Garmin Pilot does everything I want and integrates really well with my Garmin avionics.

DarylW

Re: Jeppesen
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 09:46:54 am »
It definitely gets costly too… I’ve got Garmin pilot with an ongoing updated database of charts plus back up paper bound IFR and VFR approaches and maps through a subscription from Sporty’s and the updated database in my Garmin GNX 375…. Belts, suspenders and a girdle… oh well….I just don’t trust my iPad to stay online…. Even though I have a battery backup for that too! (Patriot- which can be solar powered!)
Daryl
A pilot is only as good as his next landing

donv

• Administrator
Re: Jeppesen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 01:48:22 am »
I like the paper Jepp enroute charts. I have the approach plates both on my iPad and G600, so I feel comfortable about redundancy there. And if I switched to NACO charts, I believe the same would be true, but I would lose the paper enroute charts.

The nice thing about the paper enroute charts is that you can open them up and view a much larger area than on the iPad.