News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New -10 Service Bulletin  (Read 7132 times)

Bruce Byerly

Re: New -10 Service Bulletin
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 08:35:41 pm »
Would you do the combustion chamber?

I think that has value

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 12:40:22 pm »
So I have been struggling with this one. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Basically I have learned several things:

1) These bulletins are unlikely to become ADs

2) For a 91 operator, there is some difference of opinion, but most likely they are not mandatory at hot section

3) For a 135 (or forestry) operator, there is again some difference of opinion, but they are probably mandatory at hot section

4) For 91 or 135 operators, they are most likely mandatory at overhaul

5) There is very minimal likelihood of an actual safety issue, at least for a low-cycle corporate operator

For me, what it really boils down to is resale value of the airplane. If the airplane is going to be worth more because it has new first stage wheels, that is what would make this worthwhile for me. Given that if I don't do them now, they will probably be required at overhaul, that implies that there will be some value to it, but none of the Commander salespeople who I have spoken with seem to think that there is.

Even worse, of course, would be if 5 years from now I go to sell the airplane and it sits on the market because I didn't do the wheels... on the other hand, it's a lot of money and I would be sad if it had no effect on the value of the airplane at all.

I have also heard that there is some chance that once the engines are at the engine shop, the story may change (salesman vs. inspection department) and I may be told that, in fact, they are mandatory for 91 or 135. Apparently this happened to someone already.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:43:23 pm by donv »

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 07:35:21 pm »
So I have been struggling with this one. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Basically I have learned several things:

1) These bulletins are unlikely to become ADs

2) For a 91 operator, there is some difference of opinion, but most likely they are not mandatory at hot section

3) For a 135 (or forestry) operator, there is again some difference of opinion, but they are probably mandatory at hot section

4) For 91 or 135 operators, they are most likely mandatory at overhaul

5) There is very minimal likelihood of an actual safety issue, at least for a low-cycle corporate operator

For me, what it really boils down to is resale value of the airplane. If the airplane is going to be worth more because it has new first stage wheels, that is what would make this worthwhile for me. Given that if I don't do them now, they will probably be required at overhaul, that implies that there will be some value to it, but none of the Commander salespeople who I have spoken with seem to think that there is.

Even worse, of course, would be if 5 years from now I go to sell the airplane and it sits on the market because I didn't do the wheels... on the other hand, it's a lot of money and I would be sad if it had no effect on the value of the airplane at all.

I have also heard that there is some chance that once the engines are at the engine shop, the story may change (salesman vs. inspection department) and I may be told that, in fact, they are mandatory for 91 or 135. Apparently this happened to someone already.

I thought I told you all of that Don. Why the struggle? It’s easy. And no, they are not mandatory at an overhaul.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 07:46:11 pm »
There seems to be some debate about the mandatory at overhaul... you might try sending some engines to National Flight and see what they tell you. There is actually some debate about whether they are mandatory at hot section as well, but most likely not.

But on the rest of it, it really boils down to resale value. Does it improve the resale value of the airplane?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 09:14:30 pm »
There seems to be some debate about the mandatory at overhaul... you might try sending some engines to National Flight and see what they tell you. There is actually some debate about whether they are mandatory at hot section as well, but most likely not.

But on the rest of it, it really boils down to resale value. Does it improve the resale value of the airplane?

Don - I have sent engines to every 331 shop in the country and a few around the world.  I have learned many (most?) lessons the hard way and know who I trust based on 40 years of relationships and performance. That’s all I have to go on.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 11:47:24 pm »
I decided, in the end, to do both service bulletins. Costly, yes, but in the end I think it's the right thing to do.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 09:37:53 am »
I agree with you.  I have always been a freeeek on maintenance even when it is costly or I could put it off... So much better to do it now than to wish you had later.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 12:05:46 pm »
So, interestingly, Honeywell has been having supply chain issues, and thus parts which are normally in stock are not. More annoying than anything, but worth mentioning.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 02:54:53 pm »
Can someone who is closer to Honeywell explain why they seem so utterly disinterested in the TPE-series? It's like they've completely given up?

Why aren't they out doing what RR did with the Allison 250? They basically anodized the outside cowling of it in blue, came up with the fancier RR250 name and sold thousands of them. Inside it was still an old Allison 250-C20, nothing had changed fundamentally. Honeywell should paint a TPE in new colors, call it something a little more accessible and go out and sell that thing. I mean, why has the Cessna Denali got a completely new engine in it, when a 331-14 is already certified and proven and in the same power range? Disinterested sales department, it feels like. It's like they've completely given up.

The TPE is a great engine, well proven, fuel efficient and in many ways much more modern than the PT6. There's no reason it shouldn't be in a lot more modern airframes than it is - only think I can explain that with is that nobody is selling it.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 01:11:58 am »
It's simple-- Honeywell expects to make a profit on every engine sold, Pratt does not. Pratt makes money selling parts.

To buyers who care about total cost of ownership, like airlines and militaries, the 331 makes a ton of sense. That's why their main OEM customers now are drones and other military applications.

The average owner-pilot isn't going to pay $500k (or $1 million) more for a 331-powered airplane when you can buy a PT6 airplane next door... sure, the performance isn't as good and the PT6 burns more fuel, but $1 million buys a lot of fuel.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 02:09:39 pm »
National finally has the parts in hand to finish my engines-- just a month and a half late, at least.