News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: That one cold time over the Rockies in the 520..  (Read 2242 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
That one cold time over the Rockies in the 520..
« on: August 10, 2021, 04:19:56 am »
Ha, I remember an old flight in my Twin Commander over the Rockies about 8 or 9 years ago. I was always so terrified of firing up the Janitrol in the tail, I just put my ski gear on and flew it without heating. But this time it got cold, and I mean real cold. I was adding more and more clothes on top of the ski gear. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and did a landing just to warm up. I still remember the looks I got when, to them, what must have looked like a madman, stumbled out of the plane like a popsicle (with odd clothing items and double hats), only to immediately demand them to guide me to "the nearest place that could get me a hot chocolate".
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

DarylW

Re: That one cold time over the Rockies in the 520..
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:59:23 am »
Ha Adam! I got stuck one long ago early March driving home at night on my motorcycle (no windshield) - ‘I’ll be right back’ quick Saturday mid-afternoon hospital rounds turning into a much longer affair of multiple surprise admissions- no jacket… finally driving home… cold night ride…warmed only by three ‘borrowed’ fabric surgical gowns, one worn like a jacket and the other two with the opening  facing aft… hanging it all out there for the 22 mile long ride home. My main dilemma that was barely getting through my hypothermic and hypoglycemic brain was…’ do I go faster but get colder and get home sooner or go slower and make the body numbing experience last longer! ‘ Finally home… rewarded with a teeth-chattering hour long warm shower that made my feet hurt!….
Then there was the time I got stuck at 21,000 feet in a Cirrus (had O2) with a broken heater, OAT of -10c… the warmest thing in the plane was my cell phone warming my cheek!
Angels saved me that day…
I hope to share more stories face to face with you all… fly in ?
Parts plane’s resting spot today in the Stockton hanger
A pilot is only as good as his next landing