News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New 695A Owner  (Read 7464 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: New 695A Owner
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 03:27:05 pm »
I know you can keep the Meggit engine display, because I know someone who used to own a 1000 which had G600s and the engine display. He also took the rest of the Meggit stuff out.

seanmcgillivray

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 07:24:39 am »
Don,

Yes sir. I am keeping the Meggitt EIDS at this time. (really don't have a reasonable alternative) I have been told that the the G600Txi is going to be or will be shortly worked on for STC approval as an EMS. We have a CAD drawing with the single 7" portrait G600 (same as my EFIS) replacing the dual Meggitt.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 11:49:29 am »
Oh, right, I forgot that they were working on that. That would be pretty nice, although at that point I would think you might just consider going to a G950. Is there much price difference?

I know Genesys, at least when they did my airplane, thought that the VNAV on the 3100 wouldn't work with the G950, although maybe that has changed.

seanmcgillivray

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 08:39:20 am »
Don,

I wont speak for ECA and the G950 installation at "it's time" was an amazing upgrade to TC. Here is the problem as I see it:

G950 is between $450-500k+
G600Txi are between $10-25k

G950 is airframe specific - minimal sales opportunity/minimal upgrade interest going forward (look at the Meggitt system for a real world example)
G600Txi non airframe dependent - wide market applicability, reliable upgrade/support path

G950 is married to the 2100 AP
G600Txi can drive about any AP out there via GAD interface or ethernet

I believe in the next year we see G600 based engine management approved for the TC and an amendment to the Aeromech RVSM STC for G600 equipment.

Hands down the G950 is the nicest "fit and finish" out there, for me my deciding factor was here is a plane that is already lasted 40 years. ADF, RMI, NDB, Loran, etc. They have come and go. The avionics need to be change in the plane, not the plane change around the avionics.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 12:08:28 pm »
That makes sense. I am certainly happy with my G600 panel and wouldn't trade it for a G950.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 10:45:11 pm »
We also forget that the G950, which is a 1000 derivative, is pretty old at this point. It's at least 15 year old technology and once you go specific type STC, you're kinda tied in. Look at the debacle of the factory Beech Barons and Bonanzas. No upgrade path.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

JMA

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 10:55:05 am »
Welcome Sean. 
Pretty sure I saw 79PH was this 'well spoken for' video I saw a few years back.  Pretty bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErQ-2xPJ_g

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 01:03:47 pm »
Do the new ones have something different from the G1000?

We also forget that the G950, which is a 1000 derivative, is pretty old at this point. It's at least 15 year old technology and once you go specific type STC, you're kinda tied in. Look at the debacle of the factory Beech Barons and Bonanzas. No upgrade path.

JMA

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 03:42:46 pm »

JMA

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2022, 01:24:29 pm »
Funny watching a show on Smithsonian on Alaska airport.

There was a clip on the NOAA Commander, unfortunately I recorded it, but i cannot upload here:

Screen shot attached.

seanmcgillivray

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2022, 10:49:51 am »
Short update as I have had a lot going on.

In late December (week after Christmas) I pushed 79PH into the hangar to start a 150HR & Panel Overhaul. We are now nearing the end of project - shooting for delivery in 3 weeks. Tearing into the airframe for the first time has been an adventure. Beyond normal inspection we have completed the following:

- Elevator bob weight arm repair
- Rudder bob weight heater element replacement
- Repair of L&R gen inlets and replacement of heating elements
- Replacement of L&R smile gaskets
- Replacement of the Emergency door seal
- Overhaul of the right starter/generator
- Overhaul of the right MT prop (delamination on a blade - warrantied by MT)
- New MLG tires & wheel hardware (check those self locking nuts folks)
- New MLG rotors & pads
- Fresh o-rings in the calipers
- New NW tire + wheel rebuild (strip, paint, bearings)
- Right wingtip repair (looks like it has been repaired before - not well)
- Overhauled the power brake valves and installed new boots

We removed ALL the unused or unnecessary antennas and engineered flush patches.

I also opted to disable the step so it will be always "stowed" regardless of door position and we removed the "pedestal extension" between the pilot and co-pilot seats for more leg room.

Lastly, installed the auto-relight kit from Twin in a bid to "possibly" reduce ignitor wear. Living and flying in the NW means lots of ignitor use.

This is all on top of a COMPLETE panel overhaul (minus the engine management system). I am stuck with the Meggitt system until someone comes up with a fix. Garmin or EI who is it going to be?

I can't wait to get it on the scales as we have removed a massive amount of wire. The "Magic" system used a lot of wire running the entire length of the fuselage to a junction box.

Anyways I am getting excited. Doing this all as I am the "general" on my new hangar for this beast. Can't wait to have the plane and the hangar complete so I can get back to my routine. I have been dry leasing a Conquest II as I still have trips that need to be done. Remarkably similar performance, but not a Commander!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2022, 10:53:35 am »
Are you using someone local to do the work?

seanmcgillivray

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2022, 12:38:02 pm »
Pacific Aviation NW based in Grants Pass.

Myself and one of their A&P/IAs went out to EAC for their 8 day training last year.

Been getting parts from Aero and EAC and been very pleased with the team at Aero.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 12:40:49 pm »
Do they maintain Dutch Bros 441s?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2022, 10:27:02 pm »
Sounds fantastic!

I saved well over 100lbs on my panel upgrade in wires and junk. And that was before she went (just like yours) here in Dec to put an Aspen in. The old Collins unit had two huge boxes in racks at the back, so I'm hoping to shave another 30-50lbs off of that on top.

Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.