News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Reno Air Races 2021  (Read 2343 times)

EricDapp

Reno Air Races 2021
« on: September 13, 2021, 11:17:53 pm »
Anyone else going this year?

Peter and Hilda and I are going this weekend.

seanmcgillivray

Re: Reno Air Races 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:34:59 pm »
I am EAC all week attending their 8 day maintenance training class or I was planning on going.

Enjoy!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 06:38:40 pm »
I wish I could! I'd love to go again, but it's a tough time of year for me to make that happen. Some year, before too long!

Have fun!

schrambow

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:05:07 pm »
Eric, sorry i didn't catch this post before now.  The site was kind of messed up the last week or so, and i didn't see your post correctly.  I did see your photo of our bird in the background on Facebook though!
I took 4 guys out there this year on Thursday and came back yesterday.  We had a great time, and saw you taxing out from Steller West when we were just getting to our airplane for preflight yesterday morning around 7:45am.  You have a very nice looking machine and would have loved to hook up with you to talk commanders/aviation, etc... Hopefully sometime we can hook up.
We just love this event, yes it is not perfect and it has many issues and complaints just like any other event, but we just love the journey from the midwest out to the high desert and the overall journey of it.
Yesterday was a beautiful day to travel through the west to the midwest.  We had a first time fuel stop on the way back to KOFK (Norfolk, NE).  It was a nice little airport with great runways, cheap fuel ($3.75/gallon Jet Fuel!)  Super nice line guy with a quick turnaround and other super nice pilots hanging out and wanting to talk about commanders and conquests, etc...And did i mention $3.75 Jet fuel?  Lol, our gas for the rent a car in Reno was $4.19 a gallon of car gas?  Is our world turning upside down?
I wish our Commander had an 1000 gallon tank as i would have filled it up right then and there.
Anyways, leaving this airport we had to cross a front/weather system.  I was close to just landing in western Iowa, but found a hole through the front and weather system.  I could see clear blue sky through the front and decided to give it a try with radar.  I wish i would have taken some photos and videos and all would have enjoyed it, but i am just bad at videos and photos and thinking about that stuff when in the moment.  I could tell we had about a 20 mile window, but i could tell the clear air was below us, so i went down the 19K and some small vectors and stayed clear of the clouds in between layers and had a very smooth ride through the area. After we cleared it Minn. Center asked about it and gave the ride to others in the area also.  You can see the path on Flight aware too if you look.  It was just a gorgeous ride and great view of the weather which i always respect but am amazed with it also.  I just wished i would have thought to record some photos and videos, but maybe i will get better at that in the future to share with all.
Anyways, long rant here again, but i hope to meet you sometime in future either out there or over here.
I hope you enjoyed your weekend also up at the worlds fastest motorsport and didn't eat too much sand on the windy Saturday in 40mph winds. Thank god i had dental floss to clear out the sand in my teeth Saturday night. lol.
Corey

Roy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 03:26:42 pm »
I too missed this post. Next year try to remember I crew-chief for my buddy that Races "Biplane Race #6, Miss Dianne". We can always be found in/around the Biplane pits from the Saturday prior to race week until the Monday after the Races end. The cooler is always well-stocked too ;)

#6 win the Biplane silver heat, with stiff competition from a great stick in #84.

We tried to get his #13 (Miss Gianna) ready to go that could have win the Gold heat had it got there, but some aft CG issues made that plane a scratch. Next year we'll get it there though...

Great week of racing and great weather until the wind blew in (bad!) on Saturday and made Sunday tough. Yes, there were many challenges in running the races; new people, not having done it for 2 years, etc. But the process I must admit did improve somewhat as the week went on.

Again, anyone that heads to Reno next year is welcome in the Biplane #6 (and/or #13) pits for some pilot talk.

Roy